Garden feature cart wheel ?

a1154a1154 Posts: 720
While we had a van to pick up something else from one of these salvage type places, the OH persuaded me to 2 large metal cart wheels. They are big, heavy things, but painting them and leaning them against the house really doesn’t do it for me. Any other thoughts on how to make them a feature, as I’m a bit stuck and wish we hadn’t got them. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,534
    hand them to OH and say " you wanted them, you deal with them?"  :D
    Not my idea of " a feature" but I'd love to see what you do with them.
    Devon.
  • a1154a1154 Posts: 720
    I know. He says ‘I just liked them’. Tsk. 
  • PicidaePicidae RutlandPosts: 663
    You could put them on the ground and use the divisions created by the spokes to create a herb garden. Take care, though, because by year 2 the sage will be swamping everything and the mint will be making a break for freedom.

Alternatively I might go for old school municipal gardens style planting. My preference is usually for a restricted palette so maybe alternating purple and blue pansies or purple and butterscotch/orange for a bolder look. Or deep blue and pale blue lobelia.

Personally I am not so keen on them but an alpine garden is another possibility filling between the spokes with a soil and gravel mix.

Whatever you choose to do, resist the urge to paint them and lean them against your house wall. I agree with you here. Unless you have a converted barn or possibly a cottage it just looks naff.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,921
    Suggest he gets a stetson and a team of horses to go with them?  ;)

Not my cup of tea either, but have you thought about laying them down and using them as herb or alpine planters? Strawberries? 
    And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 4,603
    edited 20 March
    Herbs or alpines were my first thought too🙂

Maybe different coloured thymes in one. Sempervivums in the other would be very low maintenance but there are also many pretty alpines to choose from.

Could even be a non-planted feature on the ground with different pebbles / shingle / shells - think of the mosaics people sometimes make in paths.

Oooh - I want one now!
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,534
    Topbird said:

Oooh - I want one now!
    @a1154, I see a sales opportunity. ;)
    Devon.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,435
    eBay  may be a good bet😀

get OH to lay them out, dig the ground below and plant them up. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,405
    If they're wooden they'll rot if laid flat and used as planters or plant dividers.

How tall are they?  I think they'd make a very attractive divider if you can erect 3 posts to a suitable height and fix the wheels between them.  Then you can either paint them or not, grow plants either side.  They could be fixed at an angle instead of straight.  All sorts of possibilities.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 2,895
    Maybe use them to fan-train some fruit trees or bushes? Or a novelty garden bench with topiary horses.

• a1154a1154 Posts: 720
    Very funny wild edges. I was trying for NOT naff.
    erm...they are 4 foot ish, metal not wood, existing paint a bit scruffy but not corroded.