Forum home Problem solving

What’s eating my shrubs...

...and more importantly how do I stop it?

• JensonJenson Posts: 25
    PS I can’t find anything on the plants
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,992
    Possibly viburnum beetle. Hopefully someone else can confirm.
  • FlinsterFlinster Posts: 883
    It’s vine weevil! You can search this forum under that and there are a lot of threads about it and also google. Lots of advice on the tinterweb. The weevils are generally nocturnal which is why you won’t see anything. They are a pain in the proverbial!!
  • JensonJenson Posts: 25
    ‘Scuse my ignorance but I thought vine weevils were only a problem in pots. These are in the ground   
  • FlinsterFlinster Posts: 883
    Yup... not just pots...
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,448
    Jenson said:
    ‘Scuse my ignorance but I thought vine weevils were only a problem in pots. These are in the ground   
    The grubs do the damage in pots but the adult beetles eat the leaves,just like yours  :s
    'orrible blighters either way!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,108
    Nematodes applied to that nerd is what you need ... sorted out a similar problem here. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,526
    Apply the nematodes to the plant, not the nerd - unless you really don’t like him  ;)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,108
    🙄 why did predictive text change ‘bed’ to ‘nerd’ 😡 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,992
    Lol, l am going to treat any future vine weevils while muttering  " Take that, nerds ".
    Thanks Dove, made me smile !