Forum home Problem solving

Clematis to feed or not to feed?

I have just planted a young clematis, do I need to put some sort of food around it? or leave until more established?

• simbrindsimbrind Posts: 16
    I planted a C. Jackmanii last year and it established itself quite well. I put some bone meal pellets in the planting hole and filled with multipurpose compost. Once it started flowering I watered it with a liquid feed. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,223
    Generally - feed when buds/new growth start to show, but stop when buds open.
    A young plant will take several years to reach maturity.
    If the soil is in good condition, they don't need massive amounts of food, but they do need plenty of water, especially if they're planted near walls/fences etc.

I add B,F&B  when they're planted, but after that it's compost as a mulch, if I remember. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• MeomyeMeomye Posts: 750
    Thanks for replies. Although only about 25cm tall it already has a flower on it so should I be feeding? do I need to do anything to help bush out such as pinching? 
  • IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364
    I think my clematis, suffers from being too close to a wall. .The best one I have is twining its way through a large Corylus Avellana on the front lawn. The clematis is a rather gaudy one unfortunately.

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,223
    Do you know what variety it is, Meomye, or do you have a pic?
    If it's flowering now, it's possibly an alpina, or similar, or it may be flowering because it's been in a more protected environment. I wouldn't feed it though, and I don't think I'd remove the flower without knowing more about the variety just now.

If it's only that size, it may have benefited from growing on a bit before planting, but
    given time, and the right condtiions, it should be ok, regardless of the type.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,583
    I feed all my clematis with a slow release feed every spring and then when in flower, occasional tonics of liquid tomato feed.  However I don't have any early flowering clems yet as they didn't survive the frosts in my last garden.   

However, the most important thing for a clematis to do well is to make sure it is never thirsty.  They don't like boggy feet but they do get thirsty in pots, in hot dry spells and if planted too close to walls which provide a rain shadow as well as absorbing water themselves.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    @ Fairygirl It is a Clematis Pink Champagne which I purchased about a month ago and although still very young, because it was flowering I thought I should put it into the garden within an obelisk. If it is too early do you think I should dig up, re pot and keep back for a bit? Thanks for other replies 
    Leave it now.  They have thick fleshy roots and yours is best left to let them settle now.  Just make sure you keep it watered, feed a little during the flowering period and watch out for slugs and snails as they love clematis shoots and flowers.

Pink Champagne is a Group 2 which simply means that as the first flowering flush finishes you can dead head it then feed it and it will produce a second flush later in the summer.   As it grows and matures it should produce new stems each year and get to 2 to 3 m high.   I would give it a good mulch at the base every autumn and a feed every spring and maybe more mulch.

You can use the early prune to tidy up any old or broken shoots and shorten any that are growing out of bounds and that you can't tie in.  Otherwise, do not prune at all as the early flush of flowers is produced on old stems.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    @Obelixx Thanks for your reply. I was just thinking that the slugs might be thinking of having a banquet at my expense! I will put some grit around the base. Second flush sounds great. I have never grown Clematis in the 'beds' before, only in pots, so fingers crossed.
    A beer trap might be better.  Determined slugs ignore grit in my experience.