Petunia Tidal Red Velour

• KiliKili Posts: 117
    edited 11 April
    I bought some Petunia Tidal Red Velour seed from Dobies in the depth of Winter. There slow growing so I always start Petunia early these were sown in February.

Here's the stage mine are at now. I had them in hanging baskets last year but they did not seem to last more than 3 months but they were quite beautiful when in bloom. I'm going to put them in pots (rather than hanging baskets) this year. There currently in the Greenhouse with night time temperatures at about 8 here. I place a plastic lid over them at night and remove during the day and they seem to be coping with those temperatures. The greenhouse gets to 20-30 degrees during the day with just a bit of sunshine so that gives them a boost. 

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

• PicidaePicidae RutlandPosts: 706
    I only had about 50% success rate with seed germination. However I have a pot of three plants which I grew last year. These were cut back and overwintered in the cold frame with temperatures dropping to 1° C, maybe lower. They’ve flourished, are now about 8” high and one flower is almost out. However most of the stems have been cut back as I have used them for cuttings. This was done about 2 weeks ago and all are looking good. I have not checked to see if they have actually rooted but all look healthy and there’s no wilting so I am optimistic. I rooted them in 4” pots in a compost/vermiculite mix and popped a clear plastic drinking beaker over each (£1.50 for a pack of 15 at the discount supermarket). The technique seems to be working a treat. Currently they are sitting on a quite shady bench in the potting shed but I’ll move them to the cold frame when I can see signs of good root growth.

Also I have a gang of Red Velour in an 18” hay basket on the front, south facing, wall of the house. I never got round to taking the basket down and almost all the petunias have laughed in the face of -6° C winter temperatures and are also growing well. They are about 6” high.

I am wondering if the dangers of frost to tender plants are overstated, or is it because these overwintered petunias are supported by a good root system?
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,157
    Kili and Picidea, you seem to have winning regimes for your seeds and I hope mine are as successful at germinating.  I have sown and watered mine today (half of the seeds) in a module tray in cold greenhouse that was 25 degrees today, also drops down to around 8 c in the night time. I wish I had bought them earlier, as it is now getting a bit late here for planting seeds as the temperatures rise. They won't be ready to plant out for a few weeks yet.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,113
    I bought similar seeds but in burgundy colour, they’ve germinated but they are slow to get growing. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Mine have just sprouted (came from China!) - They're tiny! So
    excited (saddo), what do I do next? Apologies for dodgy pic - can't work my Kindle!
  • kapernakaperna Posts: 12
    Mine have just sprouted (came from China!) - They're tiny! So
    excited (saddo), what do I do next? Apologies for dodgy pic - can't work my Kindle!
    Mine are the same and with 50% or less  success rate with seed germination
    @sam bevington. If your seeds came from China I’d wait a bit before I got too excited, they may not even be petunias, you could be lucky, Best wait and see. 

• FireFire LondonPosts: 5,368
    GW said (I think) that they are great climbers. I'm not seeing that on the selling sites - more like cascaders. I would want them for fast, annual climbers. Any thoughts?
  • PicidaePicidae RutlandPosts: 706
    Here’s mine from last year. It had a metal support frame and grew to nearly 3’ but nowhere near the 10’ talked about on GW.

As I mentioned upthread, I cut it back at the end of the season and popped it in the cold frame. It survived, nay thrived. Here it is on March 16th. Since then it has grown even more though trimmed to yield around 40 cuttings with scope for perhaps up to 20 more. The cuttings look like they have rooted.

That’s amazing! I’d never thought of even trying to ovewinter them.