Forum home Plants

Banana plant

moragb1moragb1 Posts: 291
I would love to buy a large banana plant. Anyone have any experience with them? What is the best type to buy in the uk? 
Do I have to bring indoors in winter? Best in pots or soil? Any issues? If so where is the best company to buy from? I saw them on an old Diarmund programme & loved them 
Thanks 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,595
    Musa basjoo is the hardiest and quickest growing.
    Widely available later in the year. Once established they can live outside if you live somewhere mild.
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,129
    You'll need to bring it in for winter, Morag  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• moragb1moragb1 Posts: 291
    Thanks Hostafan1 & Fairygirl. Have you tried them?? I will put it in a large pot then, I have a lovely sheltered back garden. x
    I've got this one
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/118143/i-Ensete-ventricosum-i-Maurelii/Details
    It lives in my polytunnel over the winter, not wrapped up and has survived -7 in there, but I think was luck.
    Devon.
    Thanks Hostafan1  x definitely want one 
    Don't be put off by those who moan about them being "fussy" and needing winter care. 
    You can get one for less than £10, they grow in pretty much any soil, they never , in my experience suffer with any pests or diseases, they don't need dead heading and even if you only have it for one season, they're well worth the money.

How long would £10 last in a pub / cinema/ supermarket? not 6 months, that's for sure.

Mine goes out into the garden about May, and comes in around November and between times has absolutely no attention from me. 
    Devon.
    Totally agree. £10 is a bargain for a fabulous plant xx thanks again
     :D 
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,129
    Hosta's give you all the info, Morag, so no need for any more input from me. I haven't had bananas, but have had Cannas, which need similar care.
    They won't last the wet, cold winters here without some decent protection, but other than that, it should be fine, so get one, keep it in your nice pot, and enjoy  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I've heard of folk who cut them back, roots and all and just stick them up the loft for the winter.
    Devon.