Hand mowers

I am thinking of purchasing the Webb Rear Roller Hand Mower - does anyone have any feedback on this product?

Any suggestions on good, old fashioned hand mowers?

• Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 3,951
    I have a hand push mower for allotment and really like the way it cuts the grass does well and gives you excerise if you grass area is not too large it would be good
    Hampshire Gardener
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,086
    I've been using a Qualcast Panther for years and really like it for my small patch of lawn. Nice and light which is great as my lawn is at first floor level and the garage is on the ground floor, and it cuts really nicely too. It can be a bit of a pain to cut longer grass though so you have to keep on top of things. I think that's just a general rule with push mowers. On longer grass I tend to take the collection box off and rake the cut grass up afterwards but on short grass the box catches most of it.

I wish there was more choice in the market as most of them are cheap machines with little thought given to repair and servicing. I'd like a more robust one with a bit more design thought behind it but I guess people just chuck them away and buy new ones these days.
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,097
    Hand mowers are great. For a small lawn area, they cut well and as far as I'm concerned, leaves the lawn looking very neat. As Wild Edges says, not great to leave the lawn tall on these mowers, otherwise they fail to push and cut properly.

I have not used the one you mentioned, but I would guess it will perform. It looks just like my old one from many many years back which only cost £25 and lasted. Good for excercise and it is compact. In my first property, I had no space to even store the mower outside, and it was always kept under the stairs inside the property!
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,362
    Mine's a Bosch.  It cuts my small and fairly level lawns very well but as other folks have said, it's less good if the grass gets long. I think that's true for cylinder mowers generally (I used to have an electric cylinder mower and that was worse than the hand mower if the grass got too long).