Forum home Plants

Rose choice for coastal garden

moragb1moragb1 Posts: 291
I have never grown roses before except a few climbers & ramblers but starting to love them. After watching Rachel de Thame recently on Garden revival, I thought I would give it a go.

I am planning a new front garden border and would like to incorporate two. I have been looking at Scepter'd Isle and Olivia Austen as they are fragranced which I feel is important.

Could all you rose experts tell me if these would be strong enough for a West of Scotland coastal garden. It can be mild but went & windy. Any advice would be so helpful as I ain't gotta clue. Thanks x

• MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 7,381
    I'm sorry you've not had a reply so far... those two roses are excellent, although Olivia Rose Austin does not have as much scent as the other one... but these are two very healthy roses...
    ...  I have no idea though about your climate in Scotland, I'm in Eastern England where it's drier, but I wouldn't be especially concerned about those two roses you have in mind...   I grew many roses on the coast of Cornwall and they all did very well...  'Graham Thomas', a yellow variety, was superb...
    East Anglia, England
  • NollieNollie Posts: 6,727
    I don’t live by the sea, but I remember when I bought some Rosa Rugosa roses, including some better-behaved hybrids, reading that they do fine in coastal areas. Not sure about scent, though...
    Mountainous Northern Catalunya, Spain. Hot summers, cold winters.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 28,792
    edited March 2019
    Rosa rugosa are usually grown as hedging plants or en masse in municipal and motorway plantations.  They sucker like mad.

I'd have though the best thing to do was go and visit a few gardens in your area to see what they're growing or else contact David Austin directly - contact on their website - and ask them.

This list and advice from the RHS may help but you have to scroll down quite a way to find "rosa" - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=472 
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • moragb1moragb1 Posts: 291
    Thanks for the great advice Ladies. Marlorena I will go for the Sceptre'd isle then sounds good xx