Forum home Problem solving

Suggestions on nice plant for privacy

Hello everyone

We are looking for some suggestions for a plant that is suitable to live in a largish pot, that we can sit on our decking to create a bit of additional privacy for us and our neighbours. Our house is higher up than theirs, as we live on a steep hill, so when we come out the back of our house, into the garden, if we looked left we would be just about able to see over their fence-hence wanting to create a bit of additional privacy for them and us which will also add to the garden. 

I am a very inexperienced gardener, so advice much appreciated

Thank you

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,011
  • Hi there
    Yes, I was considering bamboo and if in a pot, wouldn't have to worry about it spreading too! 
    Definitely one on the "to consider" list

thank you

• RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,287
    How big is your pot going to be?
    Or is it multiple pots.
    It will be easier for people to suggest suitable plants then.

Also have you considered the stability of pot or pots if it gets windy, if you are higher up and exposed, top heavy ones get blown over unless fixed or heavier than the plants.
    Wide bases are better.

• Hi Ruby

It will be one large pot. It is is well protected and not massively high up, so I don;t have concerns about it blowing over but will be getting a wide base bottom as you suggest just to be sure. We have up to 1.5m depth for base to play with

thank you
    Claire

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,531
    I'd also go for a bamboo, which would be ideal for your purposes. They also rustle pleasingly in the wind.
  • TheveggardenerTheveggardener Posts: 1,057
    I agree with the other a Bamboo. We have more or less the same problem as you only neighbours can look directly into our lounge. I have two Bamboos growing in very large pot's and feed the with lawn feed.I can't see them and they can't see me, plus you have the movement from them in the wind.
  • Lizzie and Dee it looks like bamboo is the popular choice currently. Thank you
    Remember to keep it well water in the summer or if it dry at al.
  • thank you Dee. Can I ask what kind of bamboo you have? I fancy a contemporary pot -we have dark grey bifolds and grey patio, so will look nice!  
    Sorry I can't remember it's some years since I bought our's it's about 7 ft maybe 8 ft. I split it once it starts to be to big for the pot, their tough plants so I just take an axe to it. When you split it don't let the roots dry out. When I cut down the old shoots I use the cains in the garden. Raining here at the moment but tomorrow I take a photo and send it to you so you can see how I've placed ours. Re pots try and get a straight sided pot because if you want to split it and the top carves in you wont be able to get it out and would need to break the pot to do so.