Gardens to visit in North Devon

So far, in the little free time we've had, we've visited Rosemoor, Knightshayes, Docton Mill and Holbrook gardens, as well a few Yellow Book gardens. Went to Arlington Court, but didn't think much of their garden.

Where else should we be going?

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,727
    My favourite place for a day out is Harland Abbey,  not much of a garden, just a small walled one, but a gorgeous walk to the beach and a little house in the cliff that’s been used in several films tv settings.   It’s quite cheap, I think the 2 for 1 ticket from Gardeners world can be used there.  You don’t need to go in the house, the prices are separate.
    There’s a nice cafe for pasties, salad and cakes,   We could meet up if you go later in the year when we have better weather.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,626
    pop across the county boundary to Hestercombe, just north of Taunton - Gertrude Jekyll garden. Make of a day of it and go to Dunster Castle if you like sub tropical type plants in an amazing setting
    Flying...
    Or am I falling?
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,057
    pop across the county boundary
    Go abroad you mean? <looks apprehensive>

I'll put it on the list, thanks :smile:
    Lyn said:
    There’s a nice cafe for pasties, salad and cakes,   We could meet up if you go later in the year when we have better weather.

Tea and a bun, now you're talking! I'm sure something can be arranged. That's quite near Docton Mill IIRC, and we'll be going back there soon for the spring display.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,727
    Lovely, just let know when. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,287
    I've driven past Docton Mill many times: is it worth a visit?
    Devon.
    Hostafan1 said:
    I've driven past Docton Mill many times: is it worth a visit?
    Well, we liked it! Slightly proscribed in that you almost "had" to follow a given route around the garden, at least at the start. But we enjoyed it, and the tuck was good.

Also bought a couple of pots of wood anemones and, hooray!, they're coming up right now. I tried lots of times in our previous garden with no luck, so am pleased they like the soil in our new garden.
  • Shrinking VioletShrinking Violet Posts: 1,054
    Marwood Hill Gardens near Barnstaple are well worth a visit.  At this time of year there are loads of hellebores, and the spring flowers and camellias are lovely, too.  I think it's nice at any time of year, but Spring is my favourite.
    Thanks @Shrinking Violet , I'll add that one to the list.