Which should I buy

The bad weather has seen off my shed, it wont last another winter. Where it will be  situated it will like the one we have now taking a real pounding from the weather as we are on a very wind slope. Problem do I buy a wooden shed or a metal shed. Which would you choose and why. I'll be buying a slightly smaller shed so I can also have a small green house no room for a bigger one  :'( but a small green house is better than no green house.

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,319
    Hi Dee, If you get another wooden one, do you have room to construct a free standing trellis on sturdy posts in front of it? This would break up the wind and shield the shed a bit. Also, we had a problem with wind tearing off the felting so paid extra for the really tough stuff which has lasted well. I think metal sheds drip condensation inside but not sure about this.  Would a greenhouse stand up to the wind as well, especially if you get a small one?
  • NannaBooNannaBoo Posts: 949
    Hi Lizzie 27, There really isn't room for a trellis down there as it is I need to lose 2 or 3 ft from my veg garden. The green house will go between the fence and the house not ideal but I really need a green house. I hadn't thought about condensation inside a metal shed especially if we get a summer like last year thanks for pointing that out. The bad weather has got into the wood and it's frozen expanded dried out and now one side has started to fall apart and the floor is falling to bits inside I can't patch either anymore.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 1,781
    How about forgetting the shed and using the whole area for a greenhouse.  Use shelves in it and storage boxes for shed stuff, the plastic ones, and have room to grow too. Just an idea.🙂
    Now that's a thought purplerallim, never thought of that and because the area is already concreted I might even get a 12 x 8 ft are maybe bigger need to re measure tomorrow. I rather like that idea. Always wanted a greenhouse and the shed it full of plastic box's that I use as propagators.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,319
    That might work well, although you'd have to watch the humidity levels in the greenhouse if you want to store anything in cardboard packets and/or wooden tools. If the budget allows, one of those tiny 'sentry box' sheds might be worth considering. 
  • Andy19Andy19 Posts: 603
    Buy a bigger greenhouse and build a secure toolbox out of wood from strong pallets with a good padlock on it.
    Lizzie27, just been thinking about that I would use large plastic box and they could be stacked in the garage by the door so easy to get to. I could make one of those 'sentry box' sheds W 90 cm x 76 cm x H 196 cm or to fit the space round the side, if I put a shelf in it I might get things like BFB etc in the instead of the garage. It wouldn't take much to make just some one and a half inch timber batons, fence slates and roof felt which I already have. Then I could have a nice big greenhouse something I've always wanted. Well lot's to thinks about and measure. Thank you.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 1,781
    😃
    Andy19, just been thinking about building one of those need to measure tomorrow and see what will fit in round the side. I think I'm leaning more towards the big greenhouse and a 'sentry' shed but will build it and yes a good strong padlock. 
    purplerallim, Looks like I'll be going for your idea but with a sentry shed which I'll build myself. OH has just said it's up to you but you build it. Because of where it will be (full sun all day long) I'll invest in some shading and a vent. Don't tell OH I have designs on more of his lawn for next year.