Anti-intruder plants for a wall

Hi there,

Amateur garden here, looking for some advice!

I have a wall to the side of my property that backs onto a cul-de-sac. It's about 4.5/5 ft at it's shortest point and likely a very vulnerable area for someone wanting to access our property, to jump over.

Therefore, I'd like to secure this area further with the help of some 'defensive' climbing plants! My aim is, using these plants, to raise the height of this wall to around 6ft, but I'm wondering how best to structure this?

I had thought about using a few brackets placed evenly across the top of the wall (facing out so that there'd be no ledge for someone to use to climb over). I'd then use some horizontal wire to encourage the plants to climb.

Is there perhaps a better way of doing this? Or if there isn't, where would I best plant the plants in a trough or a pot? At the bottom of my patio or on top of the wall?

Thanks for any help or advice in advance.

James

• Snake fruit tree will definitely do that, the ultimate Anti-intruder plants for a wall. Hehe :D  :D

Snake fruit farmer from Indonesia, come over to my blog sometime https://thesnakefruit.com/
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,111
    It may be possible to raise the height of your wall by using trellis, this would be something that would collapse under the weight of any lowlife trying to get over it. I wonder if it is possible to get the height of the wall increased by getting a bricklayer in.That is a very low height in terms of security.  With regard to plants, pyracantha is both vicious and decorative. Evergreen, flowers in Spring, and berries in the winter. I am not sure if pots would be the way to go, can you plant directly into the ground ? (I am assuming the lower height is at the opposite end to the patio !).Do you have any young children to consider when it comes to spiky plants ?
  • Thanks for the replies.

To be honest I don't mind using a trellis, as it'd mean they'd made a huge noise if they decided to rip it down to climb over.

Maybe I'm best to attach a trellis towards the top of the wall on my side (which extends the height of the wall), and encourage the plant to droop onto and grow on the edge?

Thanks for the tip on the pyracantha. Will check that out now!
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,237
    Dig a border at the base of the wall and plant pyracantha.  It's rigid enough to get higher than the wall without additional support, has long thorns (better than barbed wire) and it has berries for the birds too.  Even before it reaches wall height it would give any intruder a prickly landing.  You could have a few with different coloured berries.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,272
    It might be quicker to put some good quality trellis running along the top of the wall. It would be too flimsy for intruders to climb over. You could then grow one or two nice climbers along the trellis which would also give you more privacy.  I do have anti-bird spikes on part of my fence primarily to stop the pigeons from pooing on my raspberries underneath which might also do the job, but they do look a bit anti-social. Any spiky plants like berberis, pryacantha or hawthorn would be good but you'd have to wait for them to grow to 6ft  and they're not ideal if you have children.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,549
    is your area a hot bed of crime?
    Devon.
  • jameshopkins0709jameshopkins0709 Posts: 29
    edited 17 March
    Hostafan1 said:
    is your area a hot bed of crime?
    It's a new estate, and there's been attempted burglaries for people cars. It's both a peace of mind thing, as well as giving us extra privacy for what is a pretty small wall
  • Great ideas everyone. Thanks for all the suggestions!
  • AnniD said:
    It may be possible to raise the height of your wall by using trellis, this would be something that would collapse under the weight of any lowlife trying to get over it. I wonder if it is possible to get the height of the wall increased by getting a bricklayer in.That is a very low height in terms of security.  With regard to plants, pyracantha is both vicious and decorative. Evergreen, flowers in Spring, and berries in the winter. I am not sure if pots would be the way to go, can you plant directly into the ground ? (I am assuming the lower height is at the opposite end to the patio !).Do you have any young children to consider when it comes to spiky plants ?
    The base of the wall on our side is a patio, so not ideal but wouldn't be too adverse to creating a bed.

No we (currently) have no children to consider.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,111
    edited 17 March
    If you have got the room, l would always advise planting in the ground.You need to bear in mind the wall "footings" when digging it out, so you may need to dig the bed out further than you think, as there is also the rain shadow cast by it. As it's a new build, l would put money on the soil being full of rubble and stuff. Preparation is the key when it comes to planting, as well as the security aspect, you want a nice looking garden as well, and you're forking out money for plants!