Forum home Problem solving

Just call me Two-Bins

Now that I have attained the dizzying status of a second compost bin, I'm wondering how best to use them.  They are both plastic daleks with a trapdoor on one side, about 200 litres.  Today I have emptied the top two-thirds of the old bin into the new one, and distributed the bottom, well-rotted third around the garden.

I'm thinking of using the old one for soft stuff such as chopped nettles and comfrey, annual weeds, grass clippings,  and food waste, all mixed with shredded paper, and the new one for coarser materials such as shrub prunings and spent annuals.  When the "coarse" bin is full, I will shovel out the oldest stuff from the bottom and add it to the "soft" bin.

Does this sound like a good plan?  Or should I just put whatever I've got into one bin until it's full, and then start filling the other?

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,701
    josusa47 said:

Or should I just put whatever I've got into one bin until it's full, and then start filling the other?

Yes, just do that. It's best to mix as many different bits and pieces in the same bin.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,487
    edited March 2019
    Does that make me Three bin Lizzie!   I agree and they fill up quicker than you think!