Flooding

I can’t seem to get my garden free from flooding. We have had a pump put in years ago but it has packed in. Following a new patio and driveway a few years ago the problem seems to have got worse. Unfortunately soil is clay and I think years ago there was a river than ran through the area. Help I’m desperate. Anyone have any suggestions or would you like to undertake it for me? Thanks

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,848
    edited 17 March
    Clay is impervious to water. That’s why it has been used to form ponds for hundreds, maybe thousands, of years.

If a river once ran through the area then it will surely still want to do that, whatever action's taken to dissuade it. Plenty of rivers have been put into conduits, especially in cities, but that never stopped them from existing. They just became “lost rivers”, as in these ones in London.

You have tried a pump and it couldn’t cope.

All you can do is try to work with what you have. Land drains would merely divert the water from your garden into neighbouring gardens and upset your neighbours.

Maybe create a pond?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,612
    You don't say whereabouts in the country you are @sarahloux_2, do your neighbours have similar problems?  As Pansyface says, installing land drains could exacerbate the problem unless you are lucky enough to have a way of doing it without affecting them. You can install them yourself, but it's not the easiest thing to do. It may be that a photo could help the "engineers" on the forum to advise, if that's possible. 
  • Trying to upload a photo of garden. Not working. I’m on the Wirral
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,031
    If the pic isn’t uploading try reducing the size ... that usually works  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh