Hello - blank canvas calling

2»

• Lonicera japonica'Halliana' looks like a good bet. Diff coloured flowers and apparently quite fragrant - sorted - thanks. Just one in the middle of the wall? 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,790
    I would think so, I think 2 may get a bit too much. I know you want quick coverage, but I think one would do. Make sure you don't plant it too close to the wall, because of the footings and the rain shadow.  :)
  • Sadly I can't get far from the wall because of the paving slabs - I'll dig out as much of the builder's rubble and everything that I can and burrow under the slabs a bit too. I can imagine this will need to be watered though. Should I plant it with one of those watering pipes to get down into the roots? Horizontal wire trellis spaced 45cm apart?
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,790
    Preparation is the thing, so you're on the right track. I wouldn't bother with a watering pipe personally, just make sure the area gets a good watering. With regard to the support, l take it you're using vine eyes and wire as opposed to actual trellis panels, l would put them very slightly closer together, say 40cm.
  • So I'm making progress - the grass is bedding in, the planks on the decking have been respaced so air can circulate and I've just built a planter. I'm going to put this water feature on the lowest tier and thought it would look good surrounded by some pebbles and grasses or something. What would you suggest please? Thanks

The squares are 72.5cm square internally and the water feature is 40cm by 36cm deep and 60cm high.