Identify some plants please

jaffacakesjaffacakes IrelandPosts: 332
Hi all,
Just a few plants that i can't identify in the garden. Any help appreciated :smile:

1) Is this a weed? I've a few dotted around.

2) A few of these in my borders. From google, i am getting lamium?

3) Not sure what this shrub is and i have 2 of them. I thought hypercium but don't think it is. 

4) Not a greed photo, sorry. It's quite small but seems like a shrub.

5) I have no idea on this one. Too early to tell. Deciduous and very thorny about 6/7 foot tall and buds appearing on it just now. Have a pic of the bud up close also.

7) The stem growing against the white wall with nice foliage. Please say it's not a weed.8) Is this Rosa Rogusa? Very big and thorny. I guess in need of a big prune. I think it's an Ash tree is growing up through it :neutral:

• DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,057
    2, yes, looks like Lamium to me.

I think 4 is a Hypericum.

5 looks like hawthorn, with the "bread and cheese" just starting to open out.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,600
    1 is honesty.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 25,286
    Hello jaffa cakes can't help with number 1 but some one will know what it is.
    2 Lamium
    3 Another I'm not sure of
    4 Hypericum
    5 Hawthorn or Blackthorn
    7 Sorry to say it looks like an Ash seedling.
    8 It looks as though it might be Rosa canina
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • The one your holding i think is hypercium.
  • jaffacakesjaffacakes IrelandPosts: 332
    Thank you all for speedy replies. Number 3 remains a mystery but it's not a great photo. I'll try get another tomorrow. Happy with most of those apart from the ash seedling :( I guess i will find lots of these around with the ash tree in garden. I'm hoping the whitethorn flowers because it's quite big.
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,736
    Pic 3 could be an Abelia .....a bit indistinct so can't be too sure .
    Pic 7 looks like Common Elder ; a weed to some people , a good wildlife plant to others .
  • PosyPosy Posts: 1,610
    Is 3 a spirea? Is that the right spelling?
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,736
    Just used the magnifier ; still (and even more) indistinct :) .

Posy may be right , Spiraea japonica 'Goldflame' ???
  • PosyPosy Posts: 1,610
    Hmmm. Got the spelling wrong, though.
  • jaffacakesjaffacakes IrelandPosts: 332
    I think Spiraea could be right actually. I know this plant from my previous garden. The foliage seems much smaller though but maybe because it's just coming into leaf. I will know by the flowers in summer for sure.

I am hoping other one is common elder. I will move it to another part of garden if it is. Elderflower cordial yum.