Marigold invasion

• Just Googled Marsh Marigold and the pictures of the flowers and leaves is the same
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,919
    How big is it? 
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,124
    edited 16 March
    What is Freecycle?
    A splendid institution.  It's like eBay without the money. Locally based online groups where people offer stuff they no longer need and can afford to give away.  A great asset to people on low incomes, and keeps stuff out of landfill.  The more people join, the better it works.  It's free to register.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,841
    nutcutlet said:
    Are you sure of your ID? Have a look at Lesser Celandine
    That’s my thought too ... never heard of invasive Marsh Marigolds in borders and lawns and it seems way too early for it to be in flower, whereas Lesser Celandine is well known for spreading over beds and lawns  ... it’s also well known for being one of the first wild flowers of spring. 

http://wildflowerfinder.org.uk/Flowers/C/Celandine(Lesser)/Celandine(Lesser).htm

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,540
    so we have marsh marigolds, calendula and celandine in the mix?
    Methinks clarification is required.
    Devon.
    A decent pic would be helpful ...
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,950
    I'd find it hard to believe it's march marigold, unles the entire garden is boggy. We had huge amounts of it at a previous house, where there was lots of boggy ground and ponds. Even then, I couldn't have described it as invasive. The clumps were well behaved and we could have dug them out anywhere we didn't want them. We didn't as it was one of the few things rabbits didn't eat.
    Far more likely to be celandine, which is all over the verges and hedgerows just now, coming into flower.
    And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,450
    I think its celendine as well,  I’ve tried to get rid of some of it in the borders, as I plant something I take out as many little bulbs as I can get.  Better now and i just leave a few, ones on the grass are no problem, they’ll soon die down you can just mow over them.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,057
    Lyn said:
    I’ve tried to get rid of some of it in the borders

Hey, I'm planting it, at least in some of the damp woody bits. And we put it in beds in our previous place (heavy clay) and it was fine - it does its thing and then dies down. Looking for 'Brazen Hussy' at the moment.
    Love ‘Brazen Hussey’ ❤️. We’ve got a little clump we’re trying to get to establish behind the pond.