Aliums being savaged !

Could anyone possibly help me identify what is eating my aliums please ?
The same thing happened last year and I assumed slugs were the culprit so I laid down wool pellets and when they didn’t work used normal slug pellets, which didn’t work either. The plants were eventually just stripped bare and disappeared 😩 I was a bit surprised that they made an reappearance this year but would like them to be grow and not be eaten. Do you think it is slugs eating them or something else ?!

• debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 1,551
    Could be pigeons? 
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 964
    edited 15 March
    I think it might be snails they rasp away, though slugs could be possible too.
    I know you say you have used pellets, but think I read snails are less affected by them.

I can see why debs64 thinks it is pigeons too as I have seen them pecking away around the edges of things.
    But would they do the bits down the centre or away from the edges?

Maybe you have both :o
    Seriously though have a little look around for snails hiding away nearby. Any walls, pots or smaller ones tucked away underneath leaves or the plants bases.
    I would clear the mint? plant that is close around them so you have a little less spots for them to hide under.

Do feel sorry for you it is a shame and annoying. Have a little look at night with a torch you might see who it is.
  • granmagranma Posts: 1,790
    Could this damage have been done as they were emerging from the bulb,or as the foliage surfaced.maybe not noticed at first but as the leaf has grown ,so had the damage.
    It's just a thought as this happened with my hosta's.
    I know I had issues at the allotment last year with so many young green plants being targeted by pigeons but probably snails are more likely don’t get many of those here, more slugs! 
  • PosyPosy Posts: 1,455
    I'm a bit doubtful about slugs because I have them in plague proportions and alliums are one of the few things they don't eat. In fact, nothing eats the alliums. Your damage certainly looks like something has chewed them.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,427
    I'd agree with Posy - they never touch alliums here, and we have huge amounts of them.
    Do you have rabbits around? They'll have a go at anything before they decide whether they like it or not.
    Pigeons are also a nuisance with lots of foliage plants.
    Oh the devil in me said, go down to the shed
    I know where I belong

Pigeons definitely had a go at my onions. Would think the smell would put them off but apparently not. 
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 964
    In the top photo on the thinnest leaf at the top left, there may be a snail poop almost capital L shape green at the top chewed edge. Where an old mint stem makes a u shape.
    Might not be though.
    If it is rabbits  or pigeon if you can catch them and make a pie, you won't need to add onions....
    Sorry will get my coat....
  • ifellofftheponyifelloffthepony Posts: 6
    Thank you for all your help and suggestions , I managed to catch two tiny snails in the act today so the mystery is solved 👍🏻
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,441
    edited 18 March
    It normally is snails they hide in between the leaves. They only target certain variety here giganteum and white giant are main alliums attacked