Fairy Ring Plants!

NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 1,037
Earlier today, I unpacked my latest plant order (12cm pots) and the Achillea Perrys White has shoots all around the outside of the pot but none in the middle. I also noticed my Crocosmia Emily McKensie, planted in an irregular wedge shape last year, are all shooting up around the edges of a perfect circle with an empty middle, like a fairy ring. What’s going on there? 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,222
    Many plants naturally do this and is why we need to divide them every few years.  The new fresh growth is produced on the outside of the clumps and the centre either dies out or becomes less productive.  I've nearly rid my garden of the common orange montbretia which grow like a weed here.  In some of the larger clumps I've removed, there was actually no soil left in the centre - just a mass of woody corms about 18" across and a foot deep.  Needed a barrow of topsoil the fill the hole!
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 2,504
    I can't say for that Achillea, but it is possible that small pots of plants like Crocosmias are usually small wedges of a larger clump and some are so thick, parts of the base will not grow, you may have been cut a section that only part grows. This is the same for a lot of other perennials.

Bear in mind, it is still quite early in the year, not all of the base area grows out at the same time. Hopefully, once they are planted out, they will soon thicken up when it gets warmer.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 1,037
    Thanks @BobTheGardener, yes  I see how that would happen after a few years, but my Emily Mac corms were planted less than a year ago, should that be happening so soon?  They also seem to be completely ignoring the wedge shaped ‘drift’ I planted them in, the devils!

The new Achilleas are only little plants, if the roots look a bit congested, is it worth trying to split them already, when I pot them on, do you think?
    Just missed your post, borderline - the crocosmias I planted new corms last year, I was comparing growth patterns with the new little Achilleas!
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,603
    all the sedums I took as cutting last year have come back as a ring around the edge of the pot
    That seems a bit weird, nut if you planted the cuttings in the middle - not just me then, its like they are trying to escape the confines of their pots!
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,603
    just one cutting given its own pot after rooting Nollie. 
  • islanderislander A small island off the west coast of Ireland. Posts: 433
    Many plants naturally do this and is why we need to divide them every few years.  The new fresh growth is produced on the outside of the clumps and the centre either dies out or becomes less productive.  I've nearly rid my garden of the common orange montbretia which grow like a weed here.  In some of the larger clumps I've removed, there was actually no soil left in the centre - just a mass of woody corms about 18" across and a foot deep.  Needed a barrow of topsoil the fill the hole!
    I have avery neglected place here and the heap of nonproductive montbretia bulbs over the decades was feet high and solid. I love them as they were a childhood favourite so am demolishing the heap and giving them away to eager neighbours. and will plant in the  abandoned field here . I know many do not like them   but i smile every time i see the bulbs  

With regard to the new 12cm Achillea Perrys White plants, I potted them on today and all the little green growth around the outside of the pot were attached to long white stems/shoots wrapped several times around the outside of the top half of the pot, but the actual roots weren’t pot bound. I wasn’t quite sure what to make of it or what to do other than pot them on as they were. Is this normal?