Secret Gardening Club - First order query

EglantyneEglantyne Posts: 23
I just received my first SGC order and I'm wondering if this size of plants is typical?  9cm Alcea 'The Bride'

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 844
    I'd say that's normal for most perennials at this time of the year - the plants are only just coming into growth.  If they were full of leaf this early it would indicate that they had been grown "soft" under glass.  If you're concerned, gently turn one out of it's pot and check the roots.  If it's got a good root system then there's no problem.
  • Valleys girlValleys girl Wales Posts: 47
    Hi cedar valley as Jenny says a good root system is a must for healthy strong plants, followed by lots of flowers for your garden . All mine I had from Secret Garden a month ago are romping on, just water and hold on a week or two to find their resting place, Happy Gardening 
  • Buzzy2Buzzy2 Posts: 65
    Yes I received my first order yesterday, some good some not so good.
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 1,256
    I got a Hollyhock like that from them a few weeks ago.. it's doing ok, I decided not to plant it but grow it on in the greenhouse where it's put out new foliage...  I admit some things from them don't look so great when you get them.. one of my Aquilegias might not survive... but the rest I got are all reasonable...
  • EglantyneEglantyne Posts: 23
    I tipped one out just now and the roots look good.  I was a little worried as they do look a little pathetic but I'm sure they'll come along fine now.  Thank you all :)
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 1,212
    All the plants I have had so far are looking good I am very impressed with the site and have recommended it to lots of gardening friends 
  • Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 649
    I have always been extremely pleased with my orders from them. There was one I wasn't too happy with as you couldn't see anything but giving them the benefit of the doubt I left it in the pot they provided and it now has the leaves growing up. It was an Astilbe which probably wouldn't have had any foliage at this time of year anyway.
  • Andy19Andy19 Posts: 597
    Just placed an order this morning so will see first hand when they arrive.
  • Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 649
    edited 15 March
    @Andy19 Hope you were able to use a discount code from the other thread "The Secret Garden Club".
  • Andy19Andy19 Posts: 597
    No did not if happy with this order will get more landscaping daughter's garden. It's a new build house started it last year nearly finished done everything myself decking, slabs, beds, gold fish pond and water feature. Son moved into new build house in November back garden just muck but will be a different kind of garden from daughter's.