New Camellia

Hi, I wonder if anyone could give me some advice please,I have had this lovely Camelia bought me,& I don’t know anything about Camelias except that they need an acid soil.Do I leave it in the original pot until it has finished flowering,or can I plant it straight in the garden with some ericaceous compost.Also do I water the pot from underneath or the top, & how often.This variety is called Black Lace.Many thanks in advance, your help would be much appreciated.

• RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,185
    Do you know if it came from an indoor shop or from a garden centre?

If the weather was a little warmer and nice out I would say plant it. But for now I would keep it in the best light you can and if possible on the cool side and gradually acclimatize it over a few weeks before planting it out.
    You can do this by putting it outside on nicer days for a few weeks.

Make sure you don't over water it. if you look at the soil from the bottom make sure it is not soggy, that will make it drop buds as much as too much heat indoors. The soil can easily dry out at the top and seem dry.
    Water it from the top thoroughly and let it drain, tip any water out of the saucer.

It is a lovely one.

Our soil is only slightly on the acid side of neutral. our camellia is fine in the garden.
    You could enjoy it in a larger pot for a few years before having to plant it out if you wanted.

• It was bought from a garden centre where it was undercover.I will keep it in the Conservatory for now then, until the weather improves then gradually acclimatise it as you suggest My soil has quite a lot of clay in it so so I think it will need a fair bit of ericaceous added to it,Many thanks Rubytoo for your valuable advice
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,171
    I have a camellia in very alkaline clay but it does fine with the right treatment. You are right to dig in as much ericaceous compost as you can manage, plus give it a liquid feed for acid-loving plants once a month. If the leaves start to lose their deep green and turn a bit yellowish, give it a dose of sequestered iron. Alternatively, you could plant it into a nice big garden pot!
  • Thank you Nollie for your good advice,Yes I think I may put it in a large pot instead,as I have quite a big patio I think it would look lovely.

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,710
    Elizabeth225
    All good advice above !

One further point here ; if you live in a hard-water area , try and collect only rainwater for your Camellia .
    It is defeating the object to plant in ericaceous soil and then use hard-water .
    Good luck with your new acquisition !