Advice on lawn for sloping garden

Hello everyone
Brand new to the site and very inexperienced gardener. We have recently had a new extension and  as part of that work had some work down in our garden-rebuilding a couple of walls and adding some patio. 

We live on a steep hill, so garden levels have always been an issue. Image shows our garden-its the bottom half I need some advice on. To left of picture (fence) is lower part of garden, which leads to NDN garden. We've managed to level it off a lot better than it was, but you can see at the back the fence steps up. We want to lay lawn but how would you deal with the slope? Was thinking of maybe using railway sleepers along left hand fence (leaving gap between fence and sleepers for gravel, to raise up left hand side a bit, to enable us to lay level turf. what would others recommend? At some point we would also like to have raised beds along the back, but funds are currently a little low, due to how much we have spent on the house. 

thanks in advance

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,437
    How far down does the retaining wall go?  I'm thinking you could level by lowering the high side and use the spare soil for the raised beds, if the topsoil is deep enough to allow that.
    Also, if those are drainage holes in the retaining wall you might be better having a border for them to drain into rather than grass all the way to the edge.
  • Hi Jenny
    The retaining wall footings are deep, so that would be worth considering.

I've got to the stage where I cannot see the wood for the trees and so need some fresh eyes to offer advice-have posted in problem solving too, in case this is the wrong spot.

Yes those are drainage holes in the wall, so that is also worth considering too. about having a border for drainage!  thank you
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,267
    I don't think you have anything to worry about.
    If you just do the usual prep for a lawn - raking, firming, and raking to a nice tilth, you could turf on that no problem. If there are a few higher bits you can rake them to the lower areas. 
    It looks quite level to me, unless the photo is deceptive   :)

Easy to add raised beds wherever you want them at a later date, so that won't be an issue.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• thank you Fairygirl    no its not too deceptive and we were thinking we can add raised beds once we get a bit more cash together-we don't want to rush it you see
  • Islander I am looking for low maintenance-must admit