VINE WEEVIL - INTO COMPOST BIN OR NOT?

Can I put used compost that I have found contains Vine Weevil Grubs into my compost bin?  I don't want to use any chemicals/nematodes. My garden is mostly paved and decked and therefore most of my plants/shrubs are in large containers. Some articles say 'don't put infected compost into a compost bin as you only spread the problem. Others say, 'It's ok as the grubs feed on live roots so they would die anyway if put into the compost bin.  Which is correct? Being an OAP on a limited pension, I cannot afford to keep buying new compost nor do I have the strength to keep emptying and refilling my containers.  I kill any grubs I find and spread the old compost out on a plastic sheet and the grubs have eventually disappeared. (taken by birds?). I also had a nightly walk with a torch last year picking off any adults I saw.  I don't like to throw my old compost away and would like to reuse it.

• RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 954
    I don't know what others will say , but I would not re use it, though I appreciate it is costly, it would be also if you reused it and put new plants in to have them eaten too.

They don't all necessarily hatch the same time, so there may be eggs from a different batch still to hatch?

I think the birds take them I have spread the old compost out and found Robin and Blackbirds eating them.
    And at the nymph stage too.

I never put the old compost that had grubs in the compost bins but would scatter it widely over a shrub bed.

Do you use a soil based John Innes type compost?
    That apparently is less appealing to the vine weevil, although I am sure I have had some in the past that had not read what I had.

Also top dressing with a layer of sharp grit i supposed to help to put the adults off digging down and laying eggs.

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 2,629
    Outdoors the adults die off in the autumn and any eggs laid before then should hatch within about 2 weeks and over-winter as grubs. As far as I know the eggs don't delay development so if you time it right then it shouldn't be a problem to compost the soil in spring. If you're reusing soil though maybe it would be worth trying a hot-bin type composter which will kill off most of the potential pests and diseases that might reinfect your plants from the old soil.
  • IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,327
    i bought some a couple of weeks ago and then it went very cold.
    I will try them tomorrow but its been very cold. Nothing to loose now they might just work. 

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'