Perennial fuchsia

13»

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 1,281
    Another vote for Agastache, bees and butterflies loved the plants I planted last year, plus lavender, salvia, etc. Top bee favourite though was Tithonia with those big open flowers - deadheading the Tith was a hazardous occupation though, I had to do it really early before the bees got up.

Marc I love reading all the posts, even for plants I never plan to grow or know nothing about, there is always something fascinating to learn, but not much point in replying ‘sorry mate, can’t help ya’  ;)
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 870
    edited 13 March
    JennyJ said:
    Maybe I have picky bees!  The things they seem to go for most here are Deutzia "Mont Rose", Teucrium fruticans, Knautia macedonica, Caryopteris, single-flowered dahlias, lavender, Linaria purpurea, and of course buddleia.
      Yes you have more and much better choice things there they like :)
    They don't have that much choice here. Though the one (fuchsia) we have does have odd little tiny trumpet shaped flowers, (did you see the photo in my link).
    I think on most bigger "normal" fuchsias the dangly bits are harder for bees to use.

Edit. Shoot me now! Sorry I forgot the link earlier.....
    https://www.ballyrobertgardens.com/products/fuchsia-microphylla

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 940
    I guess they're just like us - if there's a choice, they'll pick what they like best (or maybe what's least effort to get at).  I googled your fuchsia microphylla but I don't think it would be hardy enough to grow here. It's mostly a matter of luck that I have bee-friendly plants - it's a combination of what I like and what will grow here.
  • B3B3 Posts: 7,954
    edited 13 March
    If you want a really hardy fuchsia, magellanica grows wild by roadsides. I have one, I've never noticed whether it attracts bees or not, but it gets berries so I assume something's interested in the pollen 

There's another one with flowers that look like skinny pale pink ballerinas. That's really hardy too.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 19,940
    Lyn said:
    Obelixx said:
    love that aconitum!  I left behind a creamy one thinking I'd find another here but no.
    Shall I save seeds for you? 
    me too please.xx
    Devon.
  • Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 300
    I have 3 fuchsias, Mrs. Popple, Genii and Display. Had a few in a hanging basket last year too.

All regularly visited by bees.
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 2,604
    At 3 feet in height I recommend Fuchsia White Knights Pearl. Very delicate shape but not suitable in colder areas.  As recommended earlier Fuchsia Riccartonii. A very tough shrub that should be more suitable in colder areas. I bought one for my mum 2 years ago for a damp dark corner crowded by loads of plants in heavy clay and it’s doing very well.
  • Old Arthritic marcOld Arthritic marc Birmingham Posts: 67
    At 3 feet in height I recommend Fuchsia White Knights Pearl. Very delicate shape but not suitable in colder areas.  As recommended earlier Fuchsia Riccartonii. A very tough shrub that should be more suitable in colder areas. I bought one for my mum 2 years ago for a damp dark corner crowded by loads of plants in heavy clay and it’s doing very well.
    Thank you mate
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 12,198
    Hostafan1 said:
    Lyn said:
    Obelixx said:
    love that aconitum!  I left behind a creamy one thinking I'd find another here but no.
    Shall I save seeds for you? 
    me too please.xx
    No probs Sweet. x
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
    Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose. 
13»