Perennial fuchsia

• BirminghamMarc1972BirminghamMarc1972 Birmingham Posts: 584
    I've ordered 4 buddleias to go along the top of the garden in 4 different colours so that should be nice for the pollinators 
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,169
    I do not know the exact name of the fuchsia, but it has tiny pink flowers like little trumpets, really tiny leaves but has grown to about three feet.

The bees use it a lot here, maybe because the flowers are simpler.

It has stayed green all winter most winters,  apart from the " Beast from the East" last year. It went so brown I thought I had lost it. But it bounced back with many new stems.

I know it comes in pink, I have seen a paler pink and a white one on t'internet.
    It looks like and probably is F.microphylla.
    This link is Ballyroberts because they have two good clear pictures that you can hover over and see the details.
    (Also recommended by members here).
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,237
    edited 13 March
    Maybe I have picky bees!  The things they seem to go for most here are Deutzia "Mont Rose", Teucrium fruticans, Knautia macedonica, Caryopteris, single-flowered dahlias, lavender, Linaria purpurea, and of course buddleia.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,450
    edited 13 March
    I find one of the best perenials are the Agastache.  Easy from seeds, I think they flowered in the first year, very tall large plants.  I also have several Salvias, all good for bees. 
    Agastache 

Veronica.  Blue spires

Aconitum 

Veronica First Love.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,424
    love that aconitum!  I left behind a creamy one thinking I'd find another here but no.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,237
    I've got Agastache and Veronica growing from seed this year so hopefully the bees will like them.  I haven't noticed bees on my blue monkshood, but they could be there when I'm not looking!
  • BirminghamMarc1972BirminghamMarc1972 Birmingham Posts: 584
    Thank you for all your lovely comments and suggestions much love
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,450
    Obelixx said:
    love that aconitum!  I left behind a creamy one thinking I'd find another here but no.
    Shall I save seeds for you? 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 270
    We had fuchsia bushes in our previous house (rented, I haven't planted them and don't know the variety). They were the typical colour combination (reddish-pink and purple) and they were quite big (approx. 60-70 cm rounded bushes and they would probably grow bigger if allowed). Bees loved them.
    After some googling, I would guess "Army Nurse" or something similar.
    We also had one which was purple and violet (cold and lighter colours), much smaller, much less vigorous and never got bushy and bees ignored it.

In my current house, I have a buddleia almost ignored by pollinators, they all go for lavenders.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,424
    Yes please Lyn!   

Being warmer than our last garden, we have hardy fuchsias that over winter quite happily altho they didn't like the Beast last year.   Haven't noticed lots of insects on them but they're out of the way.   I have brought two buddleias and they're not as popular with butterflies as I'd hoped and one needs to be moved to a place with more moisture retentive soil as it droops in hot weather.   Loads of nectar rich flowers tho, as long as I dead head.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw