Can't take plant delivery

WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,763
I've got a package containing 5 salvias, a couple of penstemons coming on Thursday, but I have to be away for work and it looks like they're going to have to sit in the delivery box, in the safe space behind the bins, for several days. Will they be OK, given that the weather is cool and they aren't going to be growing much in any case?

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,577
    what size of plants and are they tender salvias  ? I would be slightly worried for plug plants 
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,763
    9cm... Salvia verticillata 'Purple Rain'
  • StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 919
    Can’t you ask a friendly garden minded neighbour to receive the plants on your behalf and once agreed contact the supplier of the change. Ask them to water them in while you are away 
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,577
    Obviously its not ideal but they should be fine , can a neighbour / friend not take them out of the box and leave them in a sheltered place. 
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,763
    I'll ask next door, good point!
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,437

Could you ask the supplier to delay sending them so that you can be there when they arrive? Or is it too late for that? 

They'll probably be better in the box behind the bin than taken back to the depot but ideally get someone to unpack them, put them somewhere light but sheltered (could be standing against the house wall) and give them a drink.  I'm assuming they're in pots not bare-root (if bare-root they'll be fine left in the box).