Forum home Problem solving

Niger seed feeder.

I put a metal feeder outside weeks ago with Niger seeds. No bird has attempted to visit it. The feeder has very small holes. Shall I discard it.

• debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,330
    I never have any luck with those despite the many finches that visit my feeder I now stick to sunflower hearts. That said they come to the one in Moms garden so maybe persevere a few more weeks. 
  • Thank you I agree about the sunflower seeds. Birds cannot get enough of them. Think I may replace with them.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,405
    Didn't have Niger in a feeder till last year, now I have gold, green and chaff inches coming which never came before.
  • Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 1,943
    Don't discard it. Nyger seed holders always have very small holes which the goldfinches love. Do you have other seed available and do other birds visit? Mine is emptied within 24 hours. Maybe someone else has an answer for you on how to attract the finches. No other birds seem to bother with it. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,310
    Goldfinches seem to vary from area to area ... some, like the ones at my brother’s farm in Suffolk just love the nyger seed, whereas up here in Norfolk they ignore them and feast on sunflower hearts ... if only they could tell us why ...
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you will replace with sunflower hearts, as the finches love them.
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,330
    I have nearly all finches and they turn up their little beaks at niger. After me spending nearly £20 on a special feeder and seed too! Good job they are cute! 
  • Thanks everyone.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,405
    Mine ignore the sunflower hearts ( which to me would be easier to feed on), but do give it at least six months as they may not have moved into your area yet as you don't say where you are. Mine have only just turned up in numbers over the last few weeks.
  • Thanks