Germination rates ?

• debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 1,382
    I sowed chillies early as I was told germination was slow and erratic I now have more chilli seedlings than I know what to do with and they all germinated within a week! Sod’s law. 
    Also
    every single sungold tomato is up and I will have to discard some seedlings which makes me feel like a monster! Only have room for 6 plants 
    no luck with heliotrope though and I really want those! 
  • kjennings6456kjennings6456 Midsomer NortonPosts: 9
    Calibrachoa from Mr Fothergills. Two packets sown four weeks ago, 6 up from one, none from the other. Petunia sown at the same time doing well. Got through five packets of calibrachoa last year with only a few germinating....even bought a heated propagator this year in case my windowsill hadn't been warm enough. Won't try again.
  • KiliKili Posts: 90
    Posy said:
    Some seeds are easier than others. Did you pre-soak the sweet peas? And are you sure they weren't eaten by mice?  I have good years and bad. 

Hi Posy, no I did not soak the seed, never thought of that. I had a similar poor rate of germination last year with fresh seed. C’est La Vie 

No mice involved as they were in the green house and nos sign of distburance in the root trainers.

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

Perki said:
    I bought the Calibrachoa seeds from dobies last year I sowed half a packet germination was very poor ended up with 2 plants , sowed the rest this year zero germination . I buy the wave petunia seeds from dobies which are fantastic plants and sow them at the same time germination is around 95% . I think you can get the odd bad packet of seeds ( calibrachoa from seed is relatively new ). I've had some rudbeckia G strum and giant scabious in the past and no matter what with numerous different attempts I couldn't get one to germinate. Had a pack of petunia from ebay a few years ago not one germinated, I grow well over a 100 petunia plants every year no problem.
    Thats interesting Perki. Not just me and not just this year then. It appears the Calibrachoa seed their selling is just not viable. There sending me replacements so we shall see.

I bought wave petuna from them too and your right there a nice Petunia in a hanging basket. I had good germination rates from them also.

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

Fairygirl said:
    I wouldn't have sown sweet peas in January. If you sow in autumn - outdoors so that they germinate at a sensble, steady temperature, you then have small plants which can be pinched out in readiness for planting later. They can be kept out of the worst winter weather in a cold frame or similar with ventilation.
    Either that, sow at this time of year, to get the same effect, using a cold frame again for protection against rough weather. They'll germinate and grow slowly, and are then ready to plant out when the conditions dictate - ie, according to your own local climate. They'll be sturdier and will require minimal acclimatisation.
    Sowing in January is either too cold, or you need a lot of heat to germinate, and then you'll be left with plants which can be very leggy and weak, making it difficult to grow them on well. When it's too cold, they'll just sit there doing nothing and eventually rot off. Most people overwater in winter and at this time of year too. 
    Hi Fairygirl, looking back it seems I sowed the sweetpea in mid February not January as I said but, good points on when to sow thanks. I'll try an Autumn sowing as you say but, my reason for sowing in February was watching Monty in a GW programme saying sow in February.

Kili

George Bernard Shaw'

Calibrachoa from Mr Fothergills. Two packets sown four weeks ago, 6 up from one, none from the other. Petunia sown at the same time doing well. Got through five packets of calibrachoa last year with only a few germinating....even bought a heated propagator this year in case my windowsill hadn't been warm enough. Won't try again.
    It seems Calibrachoa seed from whatever source just have a really bad germination rate from reading the threads here. Five packets to get only a few through.
    Looks like I'll be give them a miss from now on.

George Bernard Shaw'

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,497
    I've sown some Calibrachoa Kabloom from Suttons 7 days ago.  Petunia seeds from 'Just seed' sown at the same time are just starting to germinate.  
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
    Yviestevie let us know how you get on with the Calibrachoa Kabloom seed will you?

Kili

George Bernard Shaw'

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 1,239
    I didn't soak my sweet pea seeds @Kili and planted them the same time as you. Old Fashioned and Horizon types both doing well.
    edited 10 March
    Purplerallim, don't buy any lottery tickets with me as with my luck we aint gonna win  :) 
    Glad to hear someones having success with there germination rates . Maybe its the variety I'm sowing. 

George Bernard Shaw'