Identification needed

Hi all, I need help with identifying a plant. This has been growing for about 3 years now and it around 8 foot tall. For the first time something other than leaves has appeared! The only thing I can think of is I do tend to press any fruit stones/pips I have into random pots containing existing plants. So it could be something like that!

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,436
    Catkins! My guess is goat willow (Salix caprea).  It does tend to seed itself around.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,051
    I agree.  Goat willow.  Get rid or it will grow like the clappers and be hard to shift and there will be more and more of it now that it has flowered.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Ooooooh! I thought it was going to be a plum tree or something! It's just in a pot on the balcony. Where on earth did that come from then? I live on a council estate in North London....not the countryside!
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 24,986
    They sometimes come in the compost jooleekim.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,038
    The seeds are like thistledown and float for miles on the breeze. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hmmmm that's interesting ladybird. But the earth in the  pot its grown in is over 10 years old. It contains a dead acer that I've never had the heart to get rid of and 3 little tree's I grew from 'helicopters' that I found!