Forum home Plants

Can you identify this plant?

edsuttonedsutton West MidlandsPosts: 3
I absolutely loved this plant (shrub?/tree?), which was in the garden at my previous house. I'd love to incorporate one into my current garden but I'm not sure what it is! Many thanks if you can identify it for me!

• BeefleyBeefley SE DartmoorPosts: 47
    Weigela?  We have one that looks very similar.  Bit difficult to tell without a close up of the flowers/leaves though
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,152
    Yes, Weigela, grown on a single stem as a standard tree. Usually, they are grown as a bush. They come in a variety of pink and red colours. They are easy to grow but do need pruning to encourage new flowers and to stop them growing woody and boring.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • edsuttonedsutton West MidlandsPosts: 3
    Wow, that was quick! Thank you both very much!
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,653
    My initial thought was kolkwitzia amabilis.
    Devon.
  • edsuttonedsutton West MidlandsPosts: 3
    Hostafan1 said:
    Thanks for the suggestion. It does look similar. However, comparing the leaves on my plant with those of kolkwitzia amabilis (L) and Weigela (R), I think it is likely the latter.

• Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 3,710
    Agree with others definitely Weigela.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,653
    edsutton said:
    Hostafan1 said:
    Thanks for the suggestion. It does look similar. However, comparing the leaves on my plant with those of kolkwitzia amabilis (L) and Weigela (R), I think it is likely the latter.

Had I been able to see the leaves in the original photo, it would have helped.  ;)
    Devon.