Pencil/markers

whats best or what you use to label plants. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,337

Chinagraph pencils. They are cheap. They don’t dry up. They write on anything. They don’t wash off. You can scrub them off with a wet cloth and an abrasive cleaner. They last a life time, literally. I have one, which belonged to my old dad and which he must have bought in the 1960s. It will see me out.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 690
    I prefer to use a pencil with soft lead a 2b I think it is. Easy to write with and you can rub out your spelling mistakes which I often make! 
    Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,334
    2B or HB for me too. 
    Handy hint, give plastic labels a wee rub with fine sandpaper if they're very smooth.
    Devon.
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,152
    I use a stabilo permanent fine marker. It comes off if soaked in a jar of bleach so you can keep re-using the label. 

Didn't know stabilo did pencils though.  
  • Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 690
    Thx for the sandpaper tip hostafan1.
    Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• SlumSlum Posts: 266
    Pencil or a permanent marker for me, whatever comes quickest to hand. A quick rub with wire wool gets both off. 
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,493
    I usually use a soft pencil (I find even so-called permanent markers fade to almost nothing in a few months). Must get hold of a chinagraph pencil to try.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,337
    You could cut it into four or five pieces, JennyJ, and share it with friends. 😊
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,493
    I've ordered a pack of different colours! Really pushing the boat out :D.  I think they'll be useful for other things too (I made marmalade yesterday and the jars need labelling)
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,724
    I was passing a stationery shop today and bought a couple of chinagraph pencils to try out. I'm quite impressed so far. Nice and easy to write on plastics anyway and it doesn't rub off very easily. Nice tip @pansyface