Encouraging frogs

2»

• Manderson27Manderson27 Posts: 11
    During the summer we had to move an old shed and found a lovely big frog, as we had disturbed it's home we popped it in our tiny wildlife pond. It seemed happy enough, would wander off in the evenings /early mornings but was usually back during the heat of the day. When the cold weather arrived it disappeared do you think there is a chance it will be back. Do frogs find their way back to ponds after hiding out somewhere else all winter. I would love to see him/her again.
  • PosyPosy Posts: 1,593
    When we first made our little pond we had frogs, toads and newts, all of which were breeding. The frog spawn didn't survive. I went out at night with a torch and found a ring of newts around the frog spawn, eating their way into the middle. They don't touch toad spawn, so it must taste unpleasant. The frogs stopped coming and I didn't see any for 15 years or so. Last year we had frog spawn so I scooped it into a bucket with pond water and weed and kept it until the taddies could swim about. This year a frog has returned - well, two of course - and I have done the same.
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,057
    Do frogs find their way back to ponds after hiding out somewhere else all winter.
    They certainly did in our previous garden. We had the only pond for quite a way around, and in Feb/Mar there were 100-200 frogs in the pond for a couple of weeks, filling it with spawn. Then they all vanished. We hardly saw a one throughout the rest of the year (there were plenty of places for them to hide in our garden), but next spring, back they came!