Forum home Tools and techniques

New Greenhouse - Tips/Advice

hi
Over years I have grown veg on and off and now I have settled in my new build and started to build up the garden from a blank canvas I have decided to fulfill a life long ambition to own my own greenhouse.  I have a detached garage and there is a space behind which was perfect for a lean to as still plenty of light.  I have gone for an Eden 6x8 Lean to from greenhouses.com and looking forwards to taking delivery soon.
What I wanted to know is if anyone had any good beginner greenhouse tips, do I need to invest in a watering system, lighting etc or is that bells and whistles that are not really too fundamental?
Plus any veg/fruits/plants that would be good to start off with?

any and all advice/tips gratefully received!

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,042
    You don't really need anything but make sure you fit automatic vent openers if it doesn't come with any.  It can get very hot very quickly in a greenhouse.  If you are going to be sowing seeds, potting on etc. in there, then you'll need some staging etc. to work and put things on - this is often overlooked.  You can't  go far wrong with growing tomatoes as a first GH crop.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • BettysladBettyslad Posts: 28
    Thanks for the advice, it’s got vents but not auto but was planning on getting one added. Staging I’m also looking at. Good to know I can get by with this and not need to buy too much more at this stage
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,381
    A tap in the greenhouse would be nice if possible, as would a power point which could come from the garage. Its surprising what you might need in there and what in hindsight might have been useful . Do enjoy the freedom you get from extending the season with a greenhouse.😃
    Power would be nice to add and as you say could take from garage. For water It’s quite far from outside tap but was going to Chuck a water butt from the down pipe of garage that will be right next to greenhouse.
    That's a good idea as water is too far( like mine) have you decided what floor you are having? Mine is soil with membrane over, sweeps up easily and drains well with a central path, yours being lean to maybe better to use slabs which could be moved round until your sure how/where you want plants, also my plants are in tubs not the ground(saves back a bit) so you will have to decide how you want to grow things.😃
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,622
    Is the garage tall enough to fit a header tank for the waterbutt? You could set up a good watering system if you had the height to get some pressure behind it.
    Yeah it’s a tall garage with pitched roof and has rafters inside so could look into that.
    for ground was going to put some gravel down over membrane and use grow bags ?
    edited March 2019
    Grow bags are ok but the depth of soil isn't enough for most plants. This was my plants last year the tub height  gives them plenty of room to grow into strong plants @Bettyslad .
  • TeriannemilyTeriannemily Posts: 62
    edited March 2019
    Ive just had my first greenhouse.Which is just behind my garage.I attached a down pipe from the guttering into a waterbut. Once your in there things will be more obvious. I'm in it most days swapping things about 😁
    Yeah pots will be used hot lots of them in garage from plants previous so will def make use of them.
    thanks for all the help and advice, it’s those answers to the silly questions that really make the difference