Forum home Plants

Fig looking sick

chloe.mason.graychloe.mason.gray Posts: 10
edited March 2019 in Plants
Hi there,

My fig plant has some strange symptoms, and I'd appreciate feedback on what to do. For a while it was doing great, then all of a sudden the leaves got very dry and brittle, started turning yellow and fell off. I did not move the plant or water it less before these changes occurred. After loosing almost all its leaves, it has begun to sprout new leaves on both branches. They look very healthy and green, except one has a bunch of holes in it. I'm not sure if this is from a pest, or if it just got damaged.

I water the fig two times per week, giving it about 1.5-2 cups each time. Until about five days ago it was next to a bright window but did not get direct, intense sunlight. Now it is in slightly more moderate light, but the symptoms I'm describing started way before I moved it to a little less light.

The fig is in a ceramic pot. 

1. What might have caused the leaves to turn brown, die, and fall off? Too much light or too little? Too much water or too little?
2. Should I be worried about the holes in the leaves, or is that normal?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,268
    edited March 2019
    Which sort of fig (Ficus) is it?  There are over 800 different types ... some are grown as houseplants, some are small creeping plants and some are large outdoor trees.  I grow Ficus carica (the culinary fig which produces edible fruit) in my garden in a very large container ... it’s a large shrub/small tree at the moment and could gro much bigger if I don’t control its size.  

As far as I’m aware most fig trees are deciduous and will lose their leaves in the autumn, even if grown indoors. 

The holes  in the leaf look to me like some sort of  physical damage ... it doesn’t really look typical of caterpillar or mollusc attack. 

The leaves on yours look like a Ficus carica ... did it come with a label?  If we know what sort of fig yours is we’ll be able to offer suitable advice.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• chloe.mason.graychloe.mason.gray Posts: 10
    edited March 2019
    Thanks for your response! It did not come with a label, but I do believe it produces fruit as my partner bought the same type of fig from the same person and his has fruit. Mine has never had fruit however. It sounds like it might need a bigger pot?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,268
    This should give you the information you need https://www.gardenersworld.com/tag/figs/

Hope that helps :)

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh