No birds at the feeders!

I have three seed-feeders in my garden that have been regularly visited by birds for years. This January I was away for a coupl of weeks so they didn't get topped up in that time,but that's happened before. This year, however, since I refilled the feeders in early February, the birds have ignored them. Usually there are various finches and tits all year round, but in the last month .... nothing! I cleaned out and refilled the sunflower feeder in case the seeds were mouldy, but still no interest. 
Could this be due to the mild weather? I'm at a loss to think why there's suddenly no demand for food.

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,837
    Hmmmm has someone else been visiting your feeders?, sparrow hawk, squirrels?
    Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • Green MagpieGreen Magpie Posts: 799
    I do get the occasional squirrel but the feeders are not squirrel-friendly, and anyway if something else was eating the food, it would go down, but it's not being eaten.  There is the occasional sparrow-hawk in the area but I haven't seen one recently and it's hard to imagine that all the birds have been eaten or scared away.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,476
    The mild weather could have had a bearing, l suppose, and we have since had rain. I have seen sparrows and blackbirds ferreting through the flower beds, so they must be finding insects etc. This happens in my garden, they disappear from the feeders, but l find they usually return when the youngsters arrive !
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,607
    Hate to say it but is there a new feline in the neighbourhood? 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Green MagpieGreen Magpie Posts: 799
    There are several cats that visit the lady next door, but they don't seem to be much of a threat. The feeders are hanging from trees in a fairly overgrown, bushy area and birds using them are pretty safe.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,607
    Our feeders are pretty busy just after first light ... are there none on your feeders then ?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,185
    edited 4 March
    We have less than the numbers we expect this time of year usually.
    I think because of the mild weather.
    We have seen several species with nesting materials. There are a lot of greenfly already, birds are still visiting but not in the usual numbers. They are also feeding from the ground, insects, bugs and seen the blackbirds pulling worms, the ground has not been frozen.

It is not always predators that scare them. A very feisty blackbird or robin might keep them away if they choose to nest nearby.

A possibility is while you were away someone else had started feeding birds in the neighbourhood. So they get used to going elsewhere and don't visit you as much or at all. And dare I say, sorry, but they might even be feeding some things preferential over your offerings. Or a better reliable water supply might be part of the cause.

• ColinAColinA Posts: 211
    There is a drastic shortage of birds compared to years ago sadly
  • rachel.knoxrachel.knox Posts: 23
    I've noticed that I haven't had as many visitors to mine either. Usually I have to fill it up a couple of times a day but this time it's been a few days and it still looks full. Hoping it's just a bit early for them. 
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 1,804
    My numbers are up on all regular visitors, with the food going at a steady rate. The more elusive Wren and Songthrush are in residence,  with an early show of Chaffinch, but the Robin soon chased them off. All signs are that they are starting nesting early.