Can any bird experts help me identify this bird?

Hi - I just saw this bird in my garden - quite a distance so the photos are awful but wonder if anyone has any ideas I can google to see if I can match it. It was raining so was huddled down a lot and its feathers very thick and fluffy looking - pigeon size but with a long tail feather which I think was dark and slightly pinkish chest.  i looked in binoculars and it had a hawky face but still couldn't see very well! Sorry photos are rubbish, it was zoomed in to max! Thank you in advance :-)
If it helps we live on the edge of a town - quite built up - there are lots of big trees nearby though.

• fizzwhizzfizzwhizz Posts: 82
    p.s. based in North Devon so lots of fields and countryside around
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,627
    Google for images of a jay and see what you think ... 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,674
    Looks like a damp Wood Pigeon to me!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
    Thank you Dove, I looked and maybe it was a very fat and fluffy jay... Penguin, ha yes I thought so too at first but its tail feather too long and generally the wrong shape head / body. Have just moved here and there are so many birds in this garden I don't know - I think I will get a better camera so I can find out what they all are :-) thank you for replying :-)
  • Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 1,081
    That's what I thought when I first saw it but I am no expert.
  • it is a juvenile Wood Pigeon.
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 1,925
    Not an expert but I think a jay. I live in West Midlands in a fairly urban area and we get them in the garden occasionally 
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,674
    Definitely a damp Wood Pigeon,not a Jay at all!
    I have them sitting around looking like this in my garden when its wet.
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
    Thanks Alan and Debs - yes i think it was one or the other - will have to keep looking out and see if another comes where i can get a better picture / brave the rain and get a bit closer
    Ah ok thanks Penguin, yes most likely - was relying on boyfriend's grandads ww2 binoculars to look to be fair as thats all we have so they may not be the most effective :-)