Forum home Plants

Hydrangea recommendation

Hi! I’m hoping for some recommendations. We now have a collection of 49 hydrangea, loads of Macs, a few paniculatas, a couple of climbers,  serata, and a regular Annabelle. For number 50, I’d like something special. Is there a particular hydrangea you like? One that stands out as a showpiece in your garden? We’re in Cheshire, so average temperatures and rainfall, with various aspects for lighting, and options for soil types. If you can post a favourite, I’d appreciate the suggestions :) thank you in advance!

• 50!! I've just about got the one plant, still no blooms just a rooted cutting.
  • It’s become a bit of an obsession! Most are 2-3 years old so only a few are mature. I noticed 7 are showing flower buds, hopefully they don’t get wiped out when the cold weather returns.
  • Uncle MortUncle Mort Posts: 77
    edited March 2019
    Do you have Hydrangea Miss Saori, a beautiful specimen. My favourite is an old variety Hydrangea Madame Emile Mouillere a beautiful white mophead which gets a pinkish tinge to the flowers as they age.

Any photos of your wonderful collection?
  • Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 887
    Hi @TheRickster,

Do you have any of the Hydrangea aspera Villosa Group?  I have one called 'The Ditch' which is stunning.

Hydrangea quercifolia is also lovely .... great autumn colour.

Bee x
    Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
  • @Uncle Mort I have Miss Saori, she didn’t flower last year, hopefull for this year!  madame emilie mouliere is now on the list, thank you!

@Bee witched I have 1 villosa, but I don’t know which sub sp. hoping to identify it this year.  The quercifolia are lovely, those rich colours really shine in the autumn.

my favourite at the moment is Ayesha, wonderful flower coverage, and very tactile with firm disc shaped petals.