Forum home Problem solving

Polytunnel woes

Hi All, I need some help regarding some horrible green mould that is covering the surface of my soil? It is only a 9ft x6ft tunnel , I have cabbages & Shallots growing in there unaffected at the moment but this weird mould is bright green & is worrying me? The site I am on is quite exposed so I left the cover on over the Winter, could this be a factor? Advice please ? Thanks

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,872
    Have you got a photo. Is it mould or is it moss?
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • connie77connie77 Posts: 139
    No sorry I haven’t a photo, it is like a fine mould , it never grows into a moss , 
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 5,563
    Is it quite dry mould - almost a powdery substance? And emerald green?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
    Yes , I haven’t touched it but it looks dry & very green
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 5,563
    edited March 2019
    I used to get something that sounds the same. I think it's probably poor ventilation - my site is also very exposed so I have to limit the opening of the tunnel in winter. I've never had a major problem from it - I cleaned it off when I cleaned my Polytunnel in the winter and composted it, then topped up the soil with fresh compost/top soil mix. 

I don't actually know what it is I'm afraid  
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,479
    Sounds like an algae?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Yes I think your right, I have opened the vents & with all this wind I hope it will dry out a bit? Been reading online about a Homemade Cinnamon spray? Supposed to kill mould in soil? Worth a try I suppose
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,479
    edited March 2019
    I wouldn’t waste my money or effort on cinnamon (much more useful in some buns 😋 ) ... get some air in there and ‘tickle’ the soil up with some gentle use of a Dutch hoe in the top inch of soil ... that and some spring sunshine will sort it out.  ☀️ 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh