Forum home Plants

Hydrangea Annabelle

moragb1moragb1 Posts: 291
Does anyone have experience of this plant? I think it's beautiful and know it's large and needs staking. 
Is it hard to maintain? Any problems and is it worth having in a border? Is it straggly?
Thanks

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,184
    Strong annabelle is supposed to have stronger stems to prevent flopping
  • moragb1moragb1 Posts: 291
    Thanks Perky. I saw it on a gardeners world programme years ago and always wanted one but thought it needed staking. x
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,611
    The RHS lists two Annabelles - https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/63034/Hydrangea-arborescens-Annabelle/Details and https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/342468/Hydrangea-arborescens-Strong-Annabelle-(PBR)/Details tho it only gives cultivation info for the first.

They describe it as small so it shouldn't need staking but if you're worried, just poke in some canes as you plant it, avoiding the root ball but there ready to support stems if needed.  

I only have experience growing the paniculata forms and some of those are really vigorous and, when young, can need support but I find they stiffen up as they get older, even with an annual pruning.  I like them because they flower on new wood whereas the mophead and lace caps flower on old wood and, in my last garden, the old wood was always frozen to death so I never got flowers.  Got rid.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    If you prune it hard back it will flop and need staking.
    I was advised, by a forum member, just to give a light prune .....I shorten the stems by 8-10 inches....and it then only needs a couple of stakes.
    SW Scotland
  • AlchemistAlchemist Self IsolationPosts: 262
    Can vouch for strong Annabel. A good performer in our north facing border and always full of bloom in late summer. I put a half hoop on the front to keep it tidy and that’s about it. Doesn’t flop much. I cut it a foot from the ground to a bud. 
    Thanks Obelixx and Alchemist. I was unaware that there were two types. 
    Joyce21 that is gorgeous and exactly the look I want. How long did it take to get like that? Will it flower in the first year? Got to source one now. Your garden is stunning and my taste xx
    Obelixx could you send that link for the second one (strong Annabelle) again as I can't get it to work please? Thanks xx
    It's ok Obelixx - I got it thanks again
    OMG gorgeous. How many plants do you think? Wish I had room ha ha 
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    @moragb1,  mine flowered in it's it's first year and didn't take long @ three years to become a large shrub.
    SW Scotland