Forum home Wildlife gardening

Look what woke up to.

I’m so happy, I can’t quite believe how many frogs are in there considering how new it is. I better get stocked up with lettuce  :D:):)

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,310
    WOW, they're loving the new pond.
    Devon.
  • Hostafan1 said:
    WOW, they're loving the new pond.
    I know I really didn’t think they would take to it so quickly. It’s a hive of activity out there, it’s quite hypnotic watching them.
  • Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 2,230
    That is amazing. No wonder you are happy  :)
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,138
    I think you should push it into the main body of the pond, a dry sunny day and it will dry right out. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,287
    Congratulations.  It's put a smile on my face too.

I was going to ask if we can we have a frog count competition?
    But I don't think I can.
    Managed to clearly pick out twelve in the second photo.
    But it is actually quite hard. :)

• Rubytoo said:
    Congratulations.  It's put a smile on my face too.

I was going to ask if we can we have a frog count competition?
    But I don't think I can.
    Managed to clearly pick out twelve in the second photo.
    But it is actually quite hard. :)

Loving the frog count! I think possibly 14 in the second photo, but there are arms and legs everywhere so it really is hard to tell. I was crouched down watching them earlier (neighbours must think I’m mad) and I counted 32 🐸 all singing away 🙂
  • Lyn said:
    I think you should push it into the main body of the pond, a dry sunny day and it will dry right out. 
    Hi thank you for advice. I have tried moving it but it’s all stuck to the pebbles and it felt like I was damaging it. So I’ve gone to the garden centre and bought some more plants, and planted up the deeper edge. I’m hoping that might encourage them to use the deeper water.
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 4,771
    Very impressive frog count and pond. I rarely see the frogs which make the spawn in my pond.
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,054
    I got to 200 in my previous garden pond before I gave up counting, yet once the rut was over I barely saw a one!
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,310
    I've got tadpoles in one of the "beds" of waterlilies in my polytunnel. Most odd.
    Devon.