Forum home Fruit & veg

Ericacious soil for strawberries

Evening all, I’ve made a raised bed filled with ericacious soil for my blueberry plants, I’m sure I’ve read that strawberry plants should be in acidic soil, I have space for the strawberry plants but I wanted to double check... should the strawberries be grown in ericacious compost in a raised bed?
thanks 

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,224
    In a word, no.
    He calls her the chocolate girl
    Cause he thinks she melts when he touches her
    She knows she's the chocolate girl
    Cause she's broken up and swallowed
    And wrapped in bits of silver
  • BlenkironBlenkiron Posts: 44
    punkdoc said:
    In a word, no.
    That’s good enough for me 🤣 just a standard compost mix then?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,121
    They're fine in anything really, but make sure they have some soil in there, not just compost.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,898
    You could bury some bottomless pots (just cut the bottom off some pots from the garden center recycling bin; if you don't have some at home from previous purchases) in the ericaceous soil, and fill with normal JI3 or something similar.  You'll need to water them like normal pots.. but you can fit several strawberry plants around the edges, depending on the size.  You could even ring the pots with copper tape to help with slug prevention.  
    Utah, USA.
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,443
    I have 1500 strawberries and a soil pH of 8.5 they do just fine, you can see wild ones growing in pretty much pure chalk, they may prefer acidic soil but they don't need it.
    @Skandi, ericaceous soils are between 4-5 pH.  Acidic.  Strawberries don't mind a bit of acidic soil.. they do fine with a pH of 5-6.  As you said, they are quite tolerant of pH, so maybe they will be just fine in with the blueberries.  4 is a lot closer to 5-6 pH than 8.5!
    Utah, USA.
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,278
    Not sure OP will be interested as this was a year ago,  but others might  :)
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
    Haha.. good spot!  No idea how it came up in my 'most recent comment' list.  How bizarre.  Oops!
    Utah, USA.
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,278
    I think that sometimes old threads are used by the spammers @Blue Onion who then get flagged and removed. That may explain its appearance more recently.

This isolation is obviously getting to me, I must be missing reading the 'Best before date' in shops so I'm now subconsciously checking all sell by dates  :D 
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
    @herbaceous. You are hilarious.   :D   The people picking out my groceries are not reading the sell-by date.. English muffins last week came EIGHT days expired!  Thanks for pointing out my mistake.. I'll try to keep a better eye in the future.

Hope they found a solution for their strawberries.. hopefully @Blenkiron gives me an update.
    Utah, USA.