Forum home Wildlife gardening

Blue bells invasive?

should bulbs be planted in bed or are they likely to multiply and become permanent fixture ? I bought English BlueBell’s and poped tiny bulbs into my bed then watched gardeners world where they said never plant them in bed so I’m confused why not 

• Spanish bluebells are a menace - they spread rapidly, and moreover their large strap-like leaves had a nasty habit of smothering everything around them. Your bed could rapidly turn into a monoculture.

English bluebells don't have this disadvantage as far as I'm concerned, though no doubt they could eventually take over but not nearly as quickly. So I don't worry! I planted a 1000 in our beds last year and will buy more this autumn (as dry bulbs).
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,626
    They do multiply, but I would have thought that would be a good thing.

I suppose it depends on how you want your flowerbeds to look. Mine are jammed with snowdrops. Some people like to see soil between their prize plants. I’m just happy if anything at all grows.😊
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,508
    They are invasive so more suited to open areas under trees. They don't stay a neat group as daffodils do. If you want just a group then be prepared to dig up the ones that are in the wrong place.
  • gosh Spanish BlueBell’s nightmare how can you tell the difference between English and Spanish also mine in ground last Oct so I will have to wait for them come up as no way will I find them ! That’s lots of useful info thank you I am very new so grateful for advice 
  • It's pretty easy once you've seen them both! English have flowers on one side of the stem only, Spanish have them all the way around. English have narrow leaves, Spanish wide strap-like ones.

Much useful info here -

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/visiting-woods/trees-woods-and-wildlife/plants-and-fungi/woodland-wildflowers/identify-native-bluebell/