Forum home Problem solving

Filling the void

Could i have a few plant recommendations please? I have a raised border (left of the watering can on the pic) that needs some TLC. I want to keep it quite low and was wondering if there is anything that might be nice there that wouldn't grow more than a foot/18 inches and might droop down a little over the edge go the stone? 

I should point out that it gets no sun at all really so something that is happy to sit in the shade. I was thinking Hebes but perhaps they would'nt droop over. It there was something with a little colour that would be welcome! 

Thanks

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,508
    Hostas
  • Ferns? The Japanese painted varieties have very colourful foliage and love shade, though you didn't say if it's damp shade (good) or dry shade (bad!). Other ferns have interesting architectural foliage.

Long Acre Plants have a good range of plants for shade and offer much useful advice.
  • B3B3 Posts: 19,399
    Good name @SpecialBranch1 :D
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Thanks all. I like the idea if hostas. More research into ferns I think!
  • Just watch our for slugs and snail as they will munch through a Hosta quicker than its takes to plant it
    Could I suggest Dicentra - Bleeding heart - that likes shade and will grow in most soil conditions but prefer a moist soil. It has an arching habit, grows about 2 foot, with lovely pink or white flowers from spring to early summer. Also plant up with Ferns to allow for when Dicentra dies down.
  • That sounds great!
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 6,542
    Hostas, ferns and dicentra would all be lovely in there.

However, with the exception of a few ferns, they all die right back in autumn and you will have little to see from about October to April. I would suggest that you try to include a couple of evergreen ferns in your selection and also consider planting quite a lot of spring flowering bulbs. 

They will brighten things up from now until the hostas and ferns start emerging. The hostas and ferns will then slightly hide the leaves of the finished bulbs. Those leaves need to be left to die back as they help feed the bulbs for next year, but they can be rather messy. 
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Thank you. Is it too late to plant spring bulbs for this year? 
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,910
    Thank you. Is it too late to plant spring bulbs for this year? 
    yes but you may be able to get some as bedding plants in the garden centres to get you started. You need to plant bulbs in the autumn for spring flowers.

plenty of hardy geraniums will flower in shade, as will foxgloves and pulmonaria and primroses/primulas if you want to add a splash of brighter colour amongst the hostas and ferns. 
    “There is no military solution
    Doesn't always end up as something worse”
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 41,327
    If you can find some little pots of pre grown bulbs in GCs or diy stores etc, you can stick them in for some instant colour. You won't get spring bulbs for planting now, as it's autumn when you need to plant them. 
    If you want some  instant colour you can probably get polyanthus or violas too. 
    Hebes won't flower well if they get no sunlight, but you can still use them as structural shrubs, and they will droop over the edges. I removed one last summer as it was outgrowing it's place. That means you can have other planting there for seasonal variety. I also have Pachysandra which provides evergreen ground cover for shade, andalso the prostrate Gaultheria. They'll both drop over the edges.
    Dicentras in white would be best - white is excellent for shade. The white Jacob's Ladder [Polemonium] will also glow there, and white Japanes anemones for later in the year.

The only drawback could be moisture. Is it a very dry site, or do you get plenty of rain coming in that direction?

Found a pic of the Hebe from 2017 - pretty much centre of pic. You can see how it falls over the edge of the bed

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....