Solar power propagator?

Im just wondering if there is such a thing as a solar propagator? I would like to grow a variety of plants from seed this year. I’ve recently moved and there’s an old greenhouse at the bottom of the garden there’s no power in the garden so I’m wondering if there’s any affordable alternative if there’s no electricity?

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,613
    I maybe wrong, but I doubt it.
    My heated propagators use 100 watts, which is quite a lot and such a setup would need a substantial battery to hold the charge for when it's needed.
    I'm sure there are DIY options that would work.
    I recall a gardening prog. some while ago where a guy had rigged up solar panels to heat  tank of water which he then used to heat his greenhouse - but I doubt it was a cheap option
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,925
    My greenhouse is not heated, too far from the house to be affordable.
    It is still very useful for starting seeds off. An unheated greenhouse, with an unheated propagator, still gives a useful advantage.
    You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand
    The things you think are precious, i don't understand
  • Ok thanks! It’s also got a few panes missing! But they’re propped up at the back so I’m hoping they are easy to put back in! So hopefully it’ll be better than nothing 😁 the garden is north facing but whoever put the greenhouse where it is has put it in the sunniest spot where it isn’t in the shade of the house or trees so I’m hoping it will at least help the seeds to grow !
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,814
    You may need new spring clips to hold the panes in place.  A good DIY store will have them.    You can insulate it in winter with a layer of bubble wrap inside.   Maybe use a normal heated propagator in the house for seeds that need extra warmth to germinate.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • econuteconut Posts: 2
    I have an unheated greenhouse too. I usually start seeds off in an unheated propagator on the kitchen windowsill, just above the radiator.  It gets hot enough for tomatoes and pepper to germinate. I hope this helps, solar-powered propagators don't seem to be sufficiently in demand yet.
  • *Astrantia**Astrantia* Posts: 112
    Update on the greenhouse obelixx! I got some clips in wilko so have managed to put a couple of panes back in, the glass was propped up at the back outside the greenhouse and once I started to sort it out I realised that the 2 that fit the door are broken but have managed to put them back in and have lots of clips on them to hold in place, hopefully! Although there’s “ventilation “ in the door it’s helping to keep a bit more of the wind and rain out, the door had no glass in it at all so I figured some is better than none! 

Sadly apart from 2 panes the rest doesn’t appear to be greenhouse glass at all but old frosted bathroom window glass completely the wrong size too ☹️ Oh well the roof is intact and I’d say about 90% has glass now and with some clearing of the runners and some wd40 the door slides!
    ive cleaned out the gutters so need to find a way of collecting water that isn’t going to be expensive!
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 1,888
    You could put some clear polythene over the gaps for now this will help a lot. As for a solar power propagator you would need battery backup for night time or it would go cold.   I saw on one of these eco self sufficiency programmes some one had a small ground source heat pump with solar to run the fan. 
    AB Still learning