Forum home Problem solving

moving a camellia

Hi I am looking for help on moving an established camellia plant and can find the question but not the answers. can someone help me please and tell me how to get to the replies to queries. Thanks Pippa

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,741
    I don't know, but I do recall seeing the team at Beechgrove Garden moving a mature shrub last year. It's a 2-stage process with a long wait between.
    I found the factsheet which is here the article is about 1/2 way down - hope it is of some help
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • OK Thanks ... the more I'm finding out the more I'm realising that it may just not be possible to move it now ... I think I have left it too late. I think I may just replace it and leave it where it is. Thanks for replying and your time and trouble anyway. 
    Regards Pippa
  • FirecrackerFirecracker East Lancashire.Posts: 256
    I dug one up when building a conservatory. The customer didn't want it so I took it home at the end of the day. That was 20years ago and its still fantastic. Time of year was summer.
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,955
    Last Saturday I moved a 6' high by 4' wide Camellia in my own garden ; simply dug a medium sized hole , lifted the said shrub , placed in hole and soaked with rainwater .
    No drooping and not a single bud has dropped !
    As long as you keep it wet it'll be fine .

PS You didn't say how large your plant is .
  • That's encouraging ... Thanks!
  • Paul B3 said:
    Last Saturday I moved a 6' high by 4' wide Camellia in my own garden ; simply dug a medium sized hole , lifted the said shrub , placed in hole and soaked with rainwater .
    No drooping and not a single bud has dropped !
    As long as you keep it wet it'll be fine .

PS You didn't say how large your plant is .
    Sounds like my situation so let’s hope all will be good. Mine is similar size and I put a grow bag in the hole and left a hose watering it for an hour. Did you prune it in any way after planting?
  • rosehenderson90rosehenderson90 Scotland Posts: 60
    My Dad who has no gardening experience dug up and moved a Camellia to make way for a bigger shed and popped it in another spot a few years ago. It's thriving! No idea what time of year that was though. But that should provide some hope as that was with no experience gardening or research - maybe luck!