Do I plant out now?

MeomyeMeomye Posts: 497
I have just received a delivery of 9cm plants which have a tag saying 'plant me now', does this mean they go straight out into the borders or do I have to pot up? Plants include various Scabious, Penstemon. I have been experiencing very warm weather lately but am aware that it can change at any time!

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,130
    I had some labelled the same @Meomye, did they come from the Secret Garden club by any chance ?
    Personally I potted them on and have been keeping them in a coldframe or near the house wall. lknow we have had some very warm weather and the soil is warm, but it's still very early and l would rather they put on a bit more root. That's just me though!   :)
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,080
    I agree with Anni even here on the south coast I would pot them on if you can, would be a shame to loose them just for the sake of a few more weeks.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,990
    Yes- definitely pot up and keep somewhere sheltered for a while. Once they're filling those pots, we should be at a stage, weather and temp wise,  where they'll be fine to plant out, because that will be around May. 
    They're too vulnerable at that size at this time of year, regardless of the recent freak weather.   :)
    And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,273
    That's what I've done, repotted  and sitting in the porch for now. Was also waiting for it to rain before planting out as it's been very dry here.
  • MeomyeMeomye Posts: 497
    Thank you everyone for the replies, tis as I suspected, potting up for now then.
    @AnniD yes, purchased from the S.G.C.  ;)