Yellow lichen on roof ridge tiles :)

madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,625
Walking towards my house in this wonderful sunshine and it really picks out the lovely yellow lichen growing on the red ridge tiles.
Photo does not really do it justice it really was quite brilliant!

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 4,871
    There have been threads on here before now with people asking how to remove lichen and moss from their roof / garden walls etc. Why would anybody want to do that?

As you say MP - it's beautiful.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,140
    Removal is needed as the lichen and mosses eat into the fabric of the roof, eventually  causing it to leak.  Also the weight of wet lichen and moss can cause structural damage.
    Pretty though.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,282
    But that isn’t going happen in your lifetime MP 
    when my parents first bought this bungalow the surveyor said it had to come off, well, it didn’t and the roofs still there. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,041
    Lyn said:
    But that isn’t going happen in your lifetime MP 
    when my parents first bought this bungalow the surveyor said it had to come off, well, it didn’t and the roofs still there. 
    same here :) 
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,625
    If you did manage to scrape it off it would weigh hardly anything!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,608
    My roof is solid stone, I dread to think how much it weighs, but the weight of the lichen is insignificant and the chance of it eating through the stone is nil!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,613
    edited 27 February
    The roofs of St Ives in Cornwall are famous for being covered with golden lichen ... somehow the buildings survive and the colonies inspire much art and craft  <3

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/lichen-covered-roof.html
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,282
    If you did manage to scrape it off it would weigh hardly anything!
    It’s not the weight, they say it’s the acid in it that eats into the tiles.  
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.