Moving creeping phlox

polbpolb Posts: 95
I bought 20 creeping phlox plug plants and planted them within a raised bed last year. I wanted to ensure they had a good start and they thrived! I now want to move them to where I intended them to eventually go. Is it Ok to do this now? I could really do with the raised bed come early/mid march but I don't want to kill the phlox off by transplanting them as they've done so well. What do you think?

Many thanks

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,231
    edited 27 February
    I think they'll be fine as long as they are well watered before and after the move, and during any dry spells for the rest of they year. It's probably best to either move them before they start flowering or wait until after they've finished.

• polbpolb Posts: 95
    Ah ok, so you think they'll be fine if we get any frost or snow in the coming weeks?

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,231
    They're hardy so should be OK. If you take a good ball of soil around the roots, they'll hardly know they've been moved. Maybe make sure the soil isn't soaking wet if a hard penetrating frost is forecast.  Heavy snow might squish them a bit but shouldn't do any permanent damage.
    That's fab thank you Jenny! I know what I'll be doing this weekend :)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,916
    As long as you move them as described, they won't come to any harm,  no matter what weather lands on them. 
    They can lose foliage in severe weather, but they'll come back. They're fairly indestructible  :)
    And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

:D