Forum home Problem solving

Cloud maintenance

Its one of my favourite things in my garden, probably would never have bought one at whatever price they are, but we got it on an on-line auction (highest bid) when a local Country House was being sold, contents , gardening stuff , furniture literally everything. I top dress every Spring, then with the secateurs prune every ball, I find it quite therapeutic doing it. My question is could it be moved into a slightly bigger pot now or is it better too root prune lightly and renew all the compost. I just want to keep it in tip-top condition . Any gardener who has one or some good advice would be appreciated

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150
    Too dark a photo to tell what kind of shrub it is but looking at the height of it I think it needs a bigger pot.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,671
    Like any other potted plant there comes a time when it needs more root space to grow and feed it nutrients and water.   That looks like it needs a bigger pot.  When it gets to a point when you no longer can, or wish to, pot it on then you will have to root prune to allow space for fresh compost and also top dress it every year.  

Whatever you decide, it should have an annual feed every spring and occasional liquid feeds between March and mid July because composts only provide food for 80 to 90 days.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw