Decking treatment

I have a huge decking area that is hard to maintain but I cannot afford to replace it. It was very slippy and last summer I treated it with wet & forget then I deck stained it with Cuprinol deck stain with anti slip treatment. It looked ok but took 3 tins at £45 per tin. Wasn't great but tidy. I wouldn't mind but it hasn't lasted. I hosed down it all a few months ago to try and make sure it wasn't slippy again and it has taken off most of the stain & now it's all crappy looking. I will need to treat again.

What do you use to treat decking? Any tips please? Thanks

• Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    How long did you leave the 1st treatment and did you give it time to work then pressure wash off before you applied the stain? if you answer yes to these then I'm not sure.

You do really need a good dry spell for the stain to work properly any dampness and it will not penetrate into the wood and just drys on the surface.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,120
    I don't have decking morag but I've read others on the forum recommend stapling chicken wire over the surface of very slippy decking.
    Not the most attractive solution, but cost effective compared to forking out for the wood treatments annually. Maybe consider a pathway on the most trodden area?
  • moragb1moragb1 Posts: 290
    Hampshire _Hog yes I left the wet & forget as per the instructions and hosed off then left a few weeks. As it was a large area it was done over a week with two coats and very dry as we had a heatwave. Crazy. You are probably right and somehow it has just sat on the surface so when I hosed it, it just came off grr. I hate decking but I have so much other garden at the moment I don't want to replace it and then when it all disintegrates/ gets too old I will need to. Thanks

Kitty 2 thanks I have some chicken wire at the start but there for some reason he has laid those square decking slabs and they are ok. They have kept the stain and look so much better than the actual decking boards.

Will take a few photos today and post

• moragb1 said:
    I have a huge decking area that is hard to maintain but I cannot afford to replace it. It was very slippy and last summer I treated it with wet & forget then I deck stained it with Cuprinol deck stain with anti slip treatment. It looked ok but took 3 tins at £45 per tin. Wasn't great but tidy. I wouldn't mind but it hasn't lasted. I hosed down it all a few months ago to try and make sure it wasn't slippy again and it has taken off most of the stain & now it's all crappy looking. I will need to treat again.

What do you use to treat decking? Any tips please? Thanks
    I have just done my decking, like yours it was very slippery. I jet washed it which solved the slippery problem and then bought two tins of Cuprinal anti slip decking stain from here ... a lot cheaper than £45 per tin. Have a look ...
    https://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/product/cuprinol-anti-slip-decking-stain?sid=1&s=884698-05d056f82c87f4a792c4d7601d6e6fe6
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,493
    Surely it shouldn't wash off just by hosing down?  Could there have been the remains of some previous treatment on the decking that might have stopped it from soaking in properly?
  • moragb1moragb1 Posts: 290
    Wow Paul Anthony that is massively cheaper!!! I got them at B&Q and just checked - it was £43 per 5L. What colour did you do?? Thanks so much for the info. I was advised not to jet wash as it feathers the wood so used the Wet & Forget.

Hi Jenny J. Can't think what else could have done it. It seemed to just slide off with the hose which I had on full pelt xx

Here are a few snaps and it's a mess. All my hard work. I was hoping it would last a few years at least!!