Forum home Problem solving

Rabbit Damage

Rabbits have gone right over the top in my garden. Normally they breed quite happily in my little wood and don't bother the nice bits but not this year. They have eaten the following down to the ground; Bellis, Sweet William, Wallflower & Primula and had a good go at London Pride, Campanula & Honesty. They've also snapped my Nicotiana by presumably rolling on the smelly thing and sat on my Forget-me-Nots whilst eating everything else. Plus there's little brown tods and wee streaks all over my lawn. Stupid question but the plants they've shaved to the ground have had it, right? Should I just take the remainder out and give up and plant with something larger that they may leave alone. Although that said they've had a good go at most of the bark on a massive Ash Tree. I blame Richard Adams.
Luv Dave

• cornellycornelly Posts: 968
    We had that problem, was able to cure it by putting a chicken wire fence around the top half of the garden, had the occasional one digging under but that did stop none since the beginning of last year, bottom half of the garden is walled.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,991
    They are a bl**dy nuisance once they start. You have my sympathy, Dave. 
    Even heftier shrubs and plants aren't exempt, and you have to use tree guards or some other physical barrier to keep them away. Emerging growth of perennials is particularly susceptible.
    I think the London Pride, Primula and Campanula will come back, but you'd need to protect them. The others I'm not sure of as I don't grow them.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• For many years my granddaughter kept a pet rabbit in my back garden which is totally enclosed. The rabbit had free run every day and destroyed almost everything I planted. Through trial and error I discovered that shavings of Irish Spring Soap put her off but of course rain washes it away. Eventually, I discovered that rabbits won't eat Begonia or Marigold so that has been the focus of my containers for the last couple of years. She died last Autumn so I'm quite excited about what I can now plant without fear. I have to say though, I do love Begonias so they are staying on my list ... my granddaughter now has pet Guinea Pigs and keeps them at her house, thank goodness.  :)
  • dave125dave125 Posts: 178
    Thanks for the help! It really is a nightmare, I was so looking forward to another brilliant spring and summer pottering. Fencing in is impossible as we have conifer and laurel hedges and wall and wooden fence. My only consolation is it doesn't seem to have found any sprouting perennials as yet. For all you vegatablists please don't worry I'd never harm a Rabbit and must admit that when I shout at him/her it makes me feel bad :-(
    Luv dave
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,152
    I’m sorry but I think Mr MacGregor had the right idea  ;)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• dave125dave125 Posts: 178
    Well in the film I saw Mr MacGregor died and his nephew got blown up amongst other things so perhaps it pays not to mess with the crafty little sods!